BC Boards

Frisbee

I have two 5 month old BCs and I want to get them interested/ playing frisbee, but they are more interested in playing and wrestling with each other rather than the frisbee. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can get them intersted in the frisbee and stop the constant wrestling?

5 months is a bit too young for Frisbee. They tend to want to jump for it once they figure it out, which can be dangerous at that young of an age before they've finished growing. I'd wait until they are closer to a year, then start with rollers on the ground. It can take a while to convince some dogs that the Frisbee is in fact a toy. Just keep trying in short happy sessions and they'll catch on eventually.

Again though, I would not introduce the Frisbee for a few more months yet. Perhaps try teaching fetch with other, less high flying toys to start.

Raising two puppies together can be a challenge. As to them being more interested in each other, this is ok sometimes. Its good for them to play and learn to get along with each other. You should separate them for while training and sometimes play with them individually though.

If you can, I'd send one off to stay with a friend or relative for a few days or a week so they can develop individually as well. I did not do this with two lab puppies I raised and one turned out fine, confident and playful. The other grew up to be very worried and concerned about where his sister was at all time. When she died he was devastated for weeks. Some of that is just his personality, but I think it would have done him some good to be apart from her early on to help him gain more confidence on his own.

I started with rollers that young with my dog, but only for a few minutes a day and only when he was at peak energy. I started by moving the disk along the ground like i might with a towel, but I did not let him catch it. I did this to build up drive for the disk. Once Dexter was focusing on it I started rolling it. I always had a second disk to roll as soon as he dropped the first. Always roll the second one so he as to run buy you to get it. I mostly rolled rollers until he was over a year old. Occasionally i might throw it but I would keep it low and short. Keep the work out short and positive and never let him have the Frisbee unless you are working with him. Never let him get bored with it.

Also if i had two pups I would work with them one at a time.

The best place to cheap discs is Discovering the World.

www.dtworld.com. Just ask for Fastback misprints.

Good luck