BC Boards

Border Collie or not?

Those tests aren't worth the money. A friend did one, she has what looks like a mastiff/boxer mix (120lbs or so) and it said it was a mastiff, yorkie mix. Though, my brother did one and it came back husky/lab mix which is what we already thought.

I will say though, in the photo of your dog sitting, I could believe that it has Doberman in him, obviously not much and I am sure those tests are not very accurate, or at all. But in your photo the way your dogs ears sit, his longer looking snout and his long legs kind of makes it look like something other than border collie and it does remind me of a Doberman. Call me crazy. I think the fun thing is that you will never know and that is one cool aspect about rescuing (at least I think so).

Also, just a side note, working in a grooming shop we see all kinds of deliberate mix breeds. The people will say they bought from a breeder and the dog is a mix of X and X breed. Many times, we joke that the person was lied to because the dog looks hardly anything like a mix of those 2 breeds should look like. So I guess my point is that, a dog with 2 purebreed parents can many times look nothing like you would expect, so a dog with an off percentage (say all bc with a doberman 3 generations back) could seemingly look like anything. I have seen it in rescue as well, where a mother dog has pups and some grow up to look nothing like her.

So I guess my point is that, a dog with 2 purebreed parents can many times look nothing like you would expect,

true enough, this is my friends dog:

Ducky.jpg

she is a known 4 way mix. most people guess Golden Ret., Collie, and the odd "maybe some husky" are the guesses she usually gets based on her size(medium) and appearence.. her mom is a Malamute/German Shepherd, her dad is a St Bernard/Husky, granted being a 4 way mix muddies the waters a bit but still... lol

• 7 months later...

A little update for anyone interested...

We met one of Nelsons siblings a while ago while we were at the dog beach. They looked pretty similair, acted COMPLETELY the same but had different markings. We found out they were from the same little at the SPCA (same Greek-themed names and birth date).

They could tell us that Nelsons mom was an Italian Maremma and the dad a BC or an Aussie! A maremma, which most of you might know, but it is an Italian Guard Dog (similair to the Pyrenees), used on farms to protect the livestock. A bit of an odd combination, herding vs the guarding - but he is the best (pet) dog ever. Pretty sure he'd suck as a working dog, he only barks at livestock. Now I've been reading into the Maremma's and I can see a lot of his behaviour coming from that gene. Interesting!