BC Boards

Using Stockdogs for Livestock Management

denice

I have started a new discussion group geared toward folks you use stockdogs daily at home on farms and ranches to help them manage their livestock. We will focus on the work and the training for such work. I feel like there is a lack of info geared toward livestock producers. I want this group to provide support, encouragement, education to these folks.

IF this is your main interest please join us at http://clearfieldworkingstockdogforum.phpbb.net

You need to register and be approved before you are able to post

Denice

Diane

You should be able to register. IF not I can do it for you. Once you register you need to be approved. I try to check 2 or 3 times a day and do that. After that you should be able to log in.

IF you have trouble my email is denice.r@lycos.com

Tea,

I would love to have some of your poems there - put them under the chit chat if it works for you there

Denice

A quick question: Will there be members (producers) who otherwise wouldn't be here or any of the other forums or e-mail lists? I guess what I'm asking is if your intent is to help farmers/producers figure out how to train their dogs for practical farmwork are there going to be such folks participating on the forum?

J.

I am a producer and I am on there. I want to be able to ask questions. And so does Salamander.

But T, you can ask here or on the sheep producer's forum or even on Facebook. I love all the folks I talk with, but don't see a great need to go to yet another forum just to talk to the same folks I talk to here. Does that make sense? If Denice's plan is to reach out to people who don't have resources to train dogs or understand how dogs can help them in their operations, shouldn't such people be on the proposed new forum?

J.

yeah...I guess so....but most of the guys I know who farm/ranch or whatever don't do facebook. I can never remember my password on the sheep forum.

Julie

I can not say who will be on the forum. I imagine if folks have a place that fills their need then they will stick with it. There is no other place I am aware of that is focused on the use of stock dogs for livestock production. Most focus on trialing. I believe there is a fundemental difference. Many folks have sheep or livestock/poultry for their dogs I want to reach people who have dogs because of their stock. The people that contact me on a weekly basis have never heard of sheepdogL or this forum. Many folks would like to learn to use a stockdog and I do not feel they have the resouces they need that will help ensure their success. Most farmer and ranchers I speak with do not talk about straight lines and square flanks and turning around a post. They want a more 'practical' discussion. Most livestock producers do not want to attend a clinic with mostly folks that trial. They want to do things they need help with at home - getting a large flock through gates or alleys ect. While at the base of training it is the same there are also vast differences working 200 steers than 5.

My passion is helping folks who came to dogs they way I did - I had a flock of sheep and needed help. I lived on a cattle ranch and needed a dog who could help with everything. I bought a pup and we got the job done but it was not easy. I had no one to ask for advice, no place to go to see dogs work in a farm situation. Once I found help, which took 5 yrs, I continued to improve as have my dogs. I have mentioned this forum in the usual places but also on livestock lists, cattle groups ect. I do feel this list will reach folks who do not participate in the other forums. I hope that when border collie people are contacted by those who are interested in using dogs at home and by those already using dogs at home they will pass the info along about the forum. I also want folks to feel welcome no matter their breed of choice. Does not matter to me if they want to use an aussie, corgi or border collie. The care of the livestock and their dog is my main concern.

I honestly feel that our culture and society is such that we are getting further away for an agriculture lifestyle very quickly. This has changed and is changing our dogs. Just talk to some of the guys who have been around awhile. I hope the forum will help some folks to have the support and resources that enables then to jump into the world of stockdogs.

Denice

The old guys I know all have had stockdogs for years. And aren't very computery. I guess I was hoping I could get them to say some stuff....I have learned alot from them. However I will add I have also learned alot from trialing.