BC Boards

About how many lbs of food to feed a month

kingmed

I'm new to the forum, we live in Wichita Falls Tx. and are thinking about getting a border collie pup sometime next year but until then I figured I would find out alot about the breed and get informed on their care and feeding long before we jump into getting one. My wife wanted me to find out about how much food does it take to feed a border collie each month on the average. I'm not so worried about the price of the food, I figure if we are going to pay for a good border collie then I don't want to spend my time in a vet clinic because the dog isn't healthy due to it's food that it eats. I've read where a 30 lb. bag of good quality food is about average but I thought I'd ask the experts on here who have had them. We inherited a female back in the late 90's, she was gorgeous and had been or we think she had been beaten by a male due to her being scared to death of men. Angel, which is what I named her eventually came around to trusting me and after that we were joined at the hip, wants she trusted me and I proved to her that I did care for her I was her daddy to some degree. I would be away from home during the week and before I came home on Fridays my wife would tell Angel that Daddy was coming home soon and she would lay by the door until I arrived and then got so excited about me coming home. However we only fed her the grocery store food so we weren't the best of parents at that time. I know that a good food will cost 50.00 on up for a good 30 lb. bag and I'm not concerned about that. I will continually search and look over the site to get further prepared for next year if we decide on a border collie, since we have had 1 in the past and we enjoyed her so much we will probably get another one, also we have to very hyper children who love to run and play, also we do alot of walking and going to the parks so we will certainly or hopefully be active enough for the dog.

I have a 30 lb dog and 40 lb BC, and I think that a 30 lb bag of premium food lasts about 4-5 weeks, BUT I also add about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of canned per feeding (twice per day).

Just a note for when you get a puppy - do not overfeed it. Keep it slim.

Jovi

I find that a 30 lb bag of Taste of the Wild feeds my 3 border collies, a 12 year old 30 lb girl, 10 year old 46 lb boy and 5 year old 30 lb girl, almost exactly 4 weeks to the day. They are all lean though the older ones are not quite as lean as they were back in their fighting days. :rolleyes: