BC Boards

new owner!

hello, i just rescued a two year old border collie, not sure if she is pure breed or not. she looks just like a collie. she is approx two years old and is fixed. i feel in love with her right away. my questions are- its obvi she was in someones home at some point because she can sit, lay down, shake, "drop it" and she is very well behaved ( for the most part ) in the house and with my children, cats and older dog ( lab/dane mix ) BUT i have noticed she pulls very hard on the lead when i try and walk her. does NOT listen to any commands when we are out for walks. and she is a runner. any time she can slip by us at the back gate or door she bolts and will not recall. i have only had her a week so i know bonding is needed and as is training so she knows who is in charge. my other dog listens very well and maybe its just been so long that i dont remember what im doing lol. and this is a whole new breed. any tips or helpful advice would be helpful.. OH! and she just chewed up my flip flops this morning while i was asleep. i work nights and sleep durning the day. thank you in advance with any help with addie

Work on the recall on a long line, while doing some play. When she is coming to you, call her...If there is no way she is going to come to you, tug her on the long line towards you and than say Come or That'll do...If she's escaped don't waste your breath until you are close enough to catch her. Running after her might be a game, run in the opposite directions (do this in the yard or an enclosed area) so it is a game to her to catch you!

The leash pulling is a learned thing so don't think of walking as so much as a destination, but as soon as she pulls, go the other way, and pulls again, the other way.

I do this on a longer line and as soon as they pass me I turn directions so they learn to follow me. The instant they get out in front of me I turn...They learn, hey the lady is unpredicatable I'd better keep an eye on her.

As for the chewing, get appropriate chew toys and if you can crate her while you are sleeping and not able to watch her. The crate is not a punishment, just a management tool until you can trust her more.

We need pictures...enjoy her!

Cynthia

Thank you for rescuing her. What a joy. :)

Sounds like her previous owners did some training with her. It will take her time to bond to you and then respond to you with the commands. I would not do any formal training with her right away, since she is really adjusting to her new home and family (just my opinion...I feel I started formal training too soon with my first rescue BC). I would, however, incorporate informal training. The long line recall is a very good idea. I like to start heeling by luring with food...that's probably where I would start. I would also keep these as mini sessions...no more than 5 minutes at a time.

I have only rescued two BCs....my other dogs that came into the household were either German Shepherds or a mixed breed. I don't know if it's just mine or all BCs are like this, but it seems to have taken my BCs way longer to become fully bonded than my other breeds. I think patience and giving them plenty of time to adjust is the way to approach it. BCs are such wonderful, bright sensitive dogs, they are worth the wait.

I also agree with crating when you can't watch her. And, I agree that we would all love to see pictures.

You have come to the right place. I have found these boards so very, very helpful with both my dogs.

Thank you for rescuing her. What a joy. :)

Sounds like her previous owners did some training with her. It will take her time to bond to you and then respond to you with the commands. I would not do any formal training with her right away, since she is really adjusting to her new home and family (just my opinion...I feel I started formal training too soon with my first rescue BC). I would, however, incorporate informal training. The long line recall is a very good idea. I like to start heeling by luring with food...that's probably where I would start. I would also keep these as mini sessions...no more than 5 minutes at a time.

I have only rescued two BCs....my other dogs that came into the household were either German Shepherds or a mixed breed. I don't know if it's just mine or all BCs are like this, but it seems to have taken my BCs way longer to become fully bonded than my other breeds. I think patience and giving them plenty of time to adjust is the way to approach it. BCs are such wonderful, bright sensitive dogs, they are worth the wait.

I also agree with crating when you can't watch her. And, I agree that we would all love to see pictures.

You have come to the right place. I have found these boards so very, very helpful with both my dogs.

I would do as Cynthia suggested. Use a long, light line and let her drag it in the yard. If she knows you can reel her in as if by magic from anywhere in the yard, she'll get the idea of a recall more quickly. And if she gets out, you have some hope of stepping on/grabbing (be careful not to get rope burns) the line.

J.

A huge kudo to you for adopting her!

I don't have time to add to what others have said, and I think they've given you great advice.

Feel free to post and ask questions - there is a wealth of experience and knowledge here.

Best wishes!

Also, tie a knot in the end of the long-line so when you step on it, it doesn't just slip out from under your shoe. :)

All I can add is that if she's food motivated, then don't be shy about making yourself a walking goodie dispenser. They make pouches you can carry on your belt, or else just use a sandwich baggie. I've found little cheese squares and hotdog bits make wonderful bribing training aids. :)

So, no chasing her, let her drag the long-line, and offer rewards for coming to you every time she comes towards you. :) And do crate-train her. Eating flipflops is naughty, but you also don't want her ingesting bits of anything that would cause an obstruction.

Congratulations on your new sweetie-pal!

~ Gloria