BC Boards

Seasonal Allergies

TrulyReady

Truly's eye have been somewhat runny and goopy over the past weeks, it seems to come and go, but her eye's themselves look fine (no redness/irritation). They eye's are not actually running onto her face etc, it all seems to collect in the corners of her eyes. Since I live in the south I have assumed it to be allergies ( I know mine are crazy lately ) but I am wondering if I should be concerned? Does anyone else have this issue, if so what do you use to treat it?

I am looking forward to hearing other's suggestions and opinions on this. I have two border collies, one of which I have had less than a month and is from a different state and both have the same problem. It started up about 2 months ago in my female and appeared in the new dog after about a week. It does make me wonder if it is diet related since both of mine are doing this. My vet prescribed Neo-Poly-Dex drops for my girl in the original presentation of this symptom which does help. I do have to be careful about the steroid in the solution since, if an ulcer does appear, it will make this worse. I was planning on talking to my vet soon about any recommendations or if there is an alternate solution I can apply without worry.

One other issue can be seasonal pollen and/or seedheads. Since we are on a farm, we have hit the time of year when the dogs can gete bits from seedheads in their eyes. The one that is most affected is Dan, perhaps because either his height or his way of going put him at the right level to collect debris off the seedheads. Fortunately, we don't have anything like they have out West (foxtail, needle-and-thread grass) that can be very hazardous to not only the eyes but any part of the body where they may lodge and work their way in.

I do have a dog that gets seasonally itchy, and he goes through phases throughout the year. He is just finished with one minor bout that lasted maybe a month or six weeks.

One other thought, although it might not show up seasonally, is that some dogs simply have the kind of eye that collects debris/seedhead material/pollen, and does not allow it to drain out and that may result in lots of goop. Our Bute was like that, with deep-set, almond-shaped eyes. He spent many months worrying me with all the goop his eyes would have, until I found out that it was simply the build of his eyes compared to the build of our other dogs' eyes, which were shaped to facilitate the ready removal of debris.

I know, none of this may be helpful but, just in case...