BC Boards

Puppy Great Pyr/Anatolian

jvw

My brother who lives a bit south of Atlanta told me today he is getting a Pyr/Anatolian puppy next month. The sire is the Pyr and guards goats. The bitch is the Anatolian and does guard goats too but not to the extent the Pyr does. The puppy is male

My brother does not currently have livestock except for chickens and guineas. In the future he would like to get goats.

So this dog will essentially be a pet. But he would in the future like it to guard. I'm thinking this isn't really possible. Anyone have any experience with this?

But more in general does anyone have any experience with having LGD breeds as PETS? I've recommended some good books for general training. He has raised a large dog from a puppy before so he's not totally clueless.

TIA

Jennifer

I took in an 18 month old purebred Maremma female that had been raised on a suburban lot without any access or introduction to livestock. She had never seen goats, chickens or sheep. She was being let go because she was too big for the size of the lot, too large to play with the kids now and barked too much (Which is a requirement for a LGD to be successful in its job). Honestly, I didn't have much hope for her bonding with my animals, but she was going to be put down because the neighbors had complained to animal control about the noise. So I figured I'd give her a shot. I was careful how I introduced her to the animals, chaining her in the alleyway of the barn the first week, while keeping the sheep and goats in the paddock areas where she could touch noses with them, but not chase. The first morning after she stayed in the barn, I walked outside early and found her asleep- she had barked all night long. There were four day old baby chicks roosting on her back. Since then, (a year ago) I have had no predator deaths, and she is now known as "Saint Sheila"- the LGD who lets orphan lambs nurse her, babysits baby chicks and has run off several feral dogs from our pasture. She is invaluable. However, I think it is partly the Maremma breed and partly just Sheila herself. So, in other words, it is possible, but the odds are against the dog being able to start guarding after having not been allowed to bond with animals at an early age. LGDs as pets, however, appear to be problematic.

Thank you for your experience. It was my gut feeling that this type of dog as a pet would be problematic. But people also say border collies are problematic as pets too :-) some would say.

Generally it is difficult to change my brother's mind once he sets it. So I am trying to round up as much information as I can to help him make this work. He does live on a small farm and no neighbors real close so that is a plus for him. He does have a toddler and I see that as a potential issue.

Thanks

Jennifer

There are couple on yahoo and plenty have LGD as pets. They are problematic, not really quick learners(or learn they really can ignore you ), independent and need loads of socialization as youngsters if they are going to be pets.

Even said, they may have some issues as adults with strangers or stange dogs. The Pyr part should help, they have been "pet"afied for a long time

Cynthia

(4 LGDs, one would love to be house dog!)

A co-worker has two Maremmas a pets...first his yard is fenced and hot-wired...they bark at night so he has to put them away. They come in the house but rather be outside. They chose when to recall. They are great with his kids and friends and wonderful dogs. He loves the breed but does not recommend as a pet. He puts a lot of work in them to make them as pets. But he loves them and is willing to do the work. OPh, yea, his yards has some nice craters from them digging. He says since they don't have a flock to guard they have to so something. he takes them to the groomers and they get all pretty and walk on leash. It's an effort for him but he doesn't mind.

My old Pyr, Kodi...was about 18 months old when my sheep buddy came over with his young kids (4-6?) and we turned out back for one brief second...Kodi cleared the fence, ran over to the kids and they proceeded to ride the white horsey....they pulled his ears, got on his back and he loved it. Every time he see kids, he races to them...i think he think he has to watch them as part of his flock. He has even gotten between kids and unrury Border Collies pups to shield the kids. After the kids leave, he hops the fence to be wiht his sheep. Prior to that time, he had never seen any children.