BC Boards

How to change retrieve habits

My BC "Mollie" is great about focusing and retrieving balls and frisbees. She will only drop the item at my feet. How can I get her to put it in my hand?

At night, she will place the ball in my recliner to throw down the hall, but never in my hand! Any suggestions?

Just hold out your hand, maybe wiggle your fingers and don't touch the ball. It may take quite a while at first, but every time you pick up the ball she's dropped on the ground she won't put it in your hand. We could actually see Isa working this one out. She would look at the ball on the ground then look at my husband's outstretched hand. Finally she would pick up the ball and give it to him. Praise and another game of chase the ball as a reward. She does not get to play the game again until the ball is put in the right place.

Regards, Val and the girls

[This message has been edited by Dynamite Tess Again (edited 05-26-2000).]

I did the same with my BC - just held out my hand and waited her out. Only thing is, I would also say"get the ball!" as I waited. Does Mollie have a similar command, or know the word "ball"? If so it'll help her make the connection a little quicker.

I agree, my B/C would usually drop it on the ground, which is okay sometimes, but when I'm tired and really just don't feel like walking over to where she left it I want the ball in my hand. Licky is crazy about fetch so the worst torture in the world is me not throwing it. I waited her out for a while and finally she got it.

It way take a little while to wait out these dogs, I know Licky got mad at me sometimes and would go to the top of the stairs drop the ball down and then play fetch with herself for a little while, but thank god that got boring for her so with an outstreached hand she understood. Just be patient and always keep it fun!