BC Boards

Eye concerns

Ade

Hi, I have a question regarding a border collie I acquired for a friend. It relates to eye welfare. She is 11 months old and has what appears to be one eye 'aperture' larger than the other, revealing pink skin to the inner corner of her left eye. It makes one eye look slightly bigger. I can't find anything on the Internet relating to such a condition, which for all I know may be trivial. She came from a responsible breeder although I have no official documents and appears fine, but I just wondered if I should encourage the owner to have it checked out. I could try to get a photo if this would help.

I'm not sure what you mean about the dog "acquired for a friend". Do you have the dog? Does your friend have the dog? Or, is the dog still with the breeder. Has the dog seen a vet? Did you ask about the condition? If the dog is still with the breeder then I suppose you could ask about it. Is there tearing? Discharge? Is it uncomfortable for the dog?

I'm also not sure what you mean...first you say one eye appears to be larger than the other...Is it? Then you say one eye appears larger than the other because of pink coloration of the inner lid.

Dogs can have dark or light coloration in the inner lid....my dog has one eye with dark coloration and the other eye with pink (white) coloration. Some people notice and have commented. I have had his eyes checked numerous times at our National Finals by the foremost authority in canine opthamology. It's just pigment.

I apologise for being unclear. The dog is with my friend now. It's merely that the inner eyelid is more exposed & visible in her left eye and I didn't know if this was any cause for concern. Thank you for your help, pic attached of when she was just 2 months but it's taken from wrong side really. The owner isn't bothered about it as the dog has seen a vet and doesn't appear to be in any discomfort...It's just me fussing as she means a lot!

post-13057-071828000 1328633408_thumb.jpg

Archived