BC Boards

Pygmy or Nigerian Dwarf

My pygmy just died a few weeks ago. I am wanting another goat. I love the pygmies but I have heard that the nigerian dwafs are very sweet and loyal. I just want a goat as a pet to go on walks with me and the dogs and some runs. My goat was with the cows during day and in the barn at night and did great this way. I just don't know if I got lucky with Sullivan and had a great goat or are all pygmies sweet and loving? I want a wether. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

My friends who raise Nigerians primarily as small homestead dairy animals say that the Nigerians are hardier and have fewer conformation-related health problems than the pygmies. They're primarily interested in production lines, but I can tell you all of their goats (even the bucks) are friendly and sweet. It's mostly in how the goats are raised and handled. They do not bottle feed (neither do we with our full-sized dairy goats), but the kids are handled all the time, so they're super people oriented.

• 2 weeks later...

My pygmy just died a few weeks ago. I am wanting another goat. I love the pygmies but I have heard that the nigerian dwafs are very sweet and loyal. I just want a goat as a pet to go on walks with me and the dogs and some runs. My goat was with the cows during day and in the barn at night and did great this way. I just don't know if I got lucky with Sullivan and had a great goat or are all pygmies sweet and loving? I want a wether. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Sorry to hear you lost your goat. I have had both Pygmies & Nigerians-would say that I really prefer the Nigerians. They are hardy and even those not strictly bottle fed, seem more social. My inherited Pygmies were not bottle fed and learned to be friendlier, but also fence testers/jumpers and did a lot of headbutting of the sheep. Not good when the ewes are pregnant.

Main thing I look for is when they are wethered-too young, you run the risk of crystals. Too old, some have developed scent glands and can definitely still be fairly gamey/musky and show more of the characteristics of a Buck. I would get two from the same farm, even if you have other livestock, they enjoy eachother's company, as well.

Archived