BC Boards

Foods for sensitive stomach

Hannah spent the last two nights at the Emergency Vet; I took her in for vomiting. Generally I wouldn't be alarmed when a dog vomits, but she lost her undigested meal and continued to vomit, and at one point I saw there were flecks of blood. So, fearing an obstruction, I took her to the ER Vet. She tested positive for pancreatitis, but I'm told a false positive is not unlikely, particularly if there is even a partial obstruction. She does not get fatty foods/meals.

It turns out there is no obstruction, but now I am wondering if anyone else has had experience with such a young dog with pancreatitis. This is upsetting, as I know that one episode increases the possibility of another. I will ask the veterinarian if I should put her on a special diet, but I am concerned that such a young dog would exhibit these symptoms. Any feedback is appreciated.

ETA: I realize the title is misleading here. I am just wondering if I should supplement her regular kibble with a canned food for sensitive stomachs, rather than the food I use now. I wet her kibble now with a bit of canned food.

Sorry to hear about the rough day. Glad She is feeling better!

The idea of pancreatitis with a young dog that doesn't have an underlying medical condition and hasn't had an sudden influx of fat is a bit weird.

Is it possible that something is off with her food (kibble can have contaminants like salmonella)? or that she grabbed something somewhere that doesn't agree with her? Some sort of food poisoning?

If it's a new bag of kibble, I'd be returning it.

Sorry to hear about the rough day. Glad She is feeling better!

The idea of pancreatitis with a young dog that doesn't have an underlying medical condition and hasn't had an sudden influx of fat is a bit weird.

Is it possible that something is off with her food (kibble can have contaminants like salmonella)? or that she grabbed something somewhere that doesn't agree with her? Some sort of food poisoning?

If it's a new bag of kibble, I'd be returning it.

It is a new bag, and I appreciate the suggestion. I'll either try to return it, or just ditch it.

I picked her up today, and now the final 'diagnosis' is "gastroenteritis-hemorrhagic", which doesn't tell me a whole lot. I'm not sure why they decided to disregard the positive pancreatitis test; maybe because of her age? They sent her home with canned prescription diet, metronidazole, amoxicillin and sucralfate. I feed Nutro Ultra, usually, but I'm supposed to gradually get her back to that after 2 or 3 days, so I'll replace the bag. I'll follow up with my regular Vet as well. Thanks Mara.

Archived