BC Boards

New Owner

First off, I wanted to make an introduction here. My name is Brianna and my Border Collie is Misha and I really hope to be spending quite a bit of time learning all I can about this breed and from those who have had them many years. I really think and hope that this is a great place to start, for both me and her.

I have to say one thing first and foremost, I truly and honestly respect what so many of you are doing, preserving the true nature of Border Collies and their history. It's quite a magnificent thing to see in a world where old values matter little. To be truthful, I didn't mean to get quite so caught up in controversy as I seem to have with this breed. Being as this is my first dog, I did not realize how much a group may be passionate about a breed and what happens to it. It was both surprising and revealing to learn of the AKC issues and it ultimately led me here, to people wanting borders to be what they are. I was even surprised by how much the breed reminded me of myself: hard-working and devoted, not to mention high-energy, haha.

I want to do best by Misha. I don't think I have ever read so much in my life! I am entranced by these dogs and their history. I find my girl fascinating, as well as the stories I'd been reading as I waited for this account to be validated. My dear pup comes from cattledog stock, her parents were used mostly to herd cattle on the ranch she was born on, but seeing as the breeder also has sheep and horses, I am hoping she will adjust well to other livestock. I hope I am not too old to start learning how to do trials or even agility trials, depending on what suits her best (as well as I!). If anyone knows a good place to start or go in Oklahoma, that'd be great. For now, Misha has some growing up to do, so I'll keep those grandiose thoughts to myself. :)

Any books, sites, and other media I can get my hands on that you can recommend would be wonderful. Misha is too young yet to begin any serious training, but it's always good to know where to go.

Either way yet, I'll do my best to listen and learn well from all of you. It's obvious the pair of us have a way to go yet.

I included some pictures of my dog. :)

post-12966-083370600 1325804135_thumb.jpgpost-12966-083370600 1325804135_thumb.jpg

post-12966-057328500 1325804175_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Boards and congratulations on welcoming Misha into your life. She is adorable!

Jovi

Thank you very much! I am enjoying looking at everyone's dogs. I appreciate the welcome.

Welcome! Misha is a cutie :)

I was even surprised by how much the breed reminded me of myself: hard-working and devoted, not to mention high-energy, haha.

That is one of the huge draws to the breed for me, too - we're alike and the dogs and I click very well!!

Archived