BC Boards

high ALT and doxy

chi chi pup

Hi, I posted awhile ago about Cheyenne testing positive for Lyme disease, we started her on doxy and 1 month later checked her blood and her ALT has shot up to 900. She previously had an ALT# at 300 due to gall bladder sludge which we found on an ultrasound, her liver was perfect. We started her on Ursidol and the reading came down to normal range. Now one month of doxy and this 900 reading, vet said it probably because of the doxy, to stop and re-check her blood next week. Has anyone heard of the ALT shooting that high after being on doxy? And if it is the doxy what other antibiotic is used to treat Lyme? Thank-you, Cindi

Amoxicillin is the substitute of choice. It is cleared through the kidneys, so shouldn't add to the liver issue. If I were you, I'd consider putting Cheyenne on milk thistle to help her liver. There is a product that the folks on Tick-L recommend, Country Life Liver Support Factor, which is made by Biochem. A Google search will find it. I give this daily to my epileptic dog who is on phenobarbital and also have used it in the past when treating any dog with doxy. Milk thistle is probably easier (quicker) to come by, but do get one or the other and start giving it to Cheyenne.

J.

Amoxicillin is the substitute of choice. It is cleared through the kidneys, so shouldn't add to the liver issue. If I were you, I'd consider putting Cheyenne on milk thistle to help her liver. There is a product that the folks on Tick-L recommend, Country Life Liver Support Factor, which is made by Biochem. A Google search will find it. I give this daily to my epileptic dog who is on phenobarbital and also have used it in the past when treating any dog with doxy. Milk thistle is probably easier (quicker) to come by, but do get one or the other and start giving it to Cheyenne.

J.

My dog had issues with a high ALT in the past as well. I think initially it was less than 100 but after going on pred it increased to over 500. The vet I work with wasn't concerned as that can be a normal side effect. Once she was off the pred, the level went back down to normal. Are any of the other liver enzymes elevated?

Archived