BC Boards

How do wool nibs come into being?

Maja

I have been looking at wool pillows and many of them are stuffed with things they call wool nibs. It looks to me like it's just washed wool picked apart into small pieces. Anybody knows how it is actually done?

Maja

It is a special breed of sheep the Highland nibwool breed from the extremes of northern Scotland. They are indeed a very rare breed so their wool would be extremely soft and comfortable. They come in a variety of colours and are parasite resistant (especially from bed bugs) and very intelligent, prefering to stay only on the northwestern sides of the mountains in which they can be found. Lucky find

Or if you don't believe that I would bet it is just uneven pieces of wool (short pieces or short wool not very useful for clothing etc). Might be the shorter stuff that falls through when skirting too.

Gee, I was way off! I thought they came from the nibbed woolly armadillo that lives in the area of the Straits of Nibraltar and sheds them only once in a decade.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the reply! After having hair sheep my woollies seem Ever So Mysterious and Intriguing, and I am trying to figure out a few things before the first shearing :) .

Maja

Archived