BC Boards

Patrick's Rocky - Growing Up

Last night Patrick's pup was our only shot in the locker and he stepped up extremely well! I am so proud of both him AND Patrick, who was getting a little frustrated at their lack of progress. Patrick found a middle ground where he could say, "Ah-ah" to Rocky but not blow him off the sheep, and with ONLY that and his name, Rocky and Patrick gathered the sheep from all over the farm, in the dark, and put them in the front pasture. It was like suddenly four generations of farm breeding spoke up and said NOW to Rocky and he settled in and did what needed to be done.

I can't wait to see what this pup will be like when he's mature. Actually, since I've seen his parents and some grandparents it's easy to guess - but seeing it develop is the fun part, isn't it?

who was getting a little frustrated at their lack of progress
Been there, done that.

Patrick found a middle ground where...
Working on that, not there yet but trying...

And I'm not just talking about Bute, the youngster, but my ongoing saga with Celt, my first "real" dog and the recipient of my inexperienced handling.

Well, lets talk about Ben who is MY first real dog and turning eleven tomorrow, and just this summer learned to really drive. I predict you'll do much better with Celt if you pick away at it.

The key with Ben was just letting him work and accepting "good enough" as a stepping stone to "better and better."

Then there's Wild Child Ted, who only comes out when I feel like a cardio workout . . . :eek:

Well, yeah, I expect you are quite right.

Celt has had a break recently. With work and the holidays, he's had very little stock time for two months. Since your clinic, I don't think I had him out until Tuesday, and he was awesome. Not perfect, mind you, but really did very well with some things that he's not done that well with in general in recent months. Maybe I was even a little improved.

Yesterday evening during chores, he again did some really nice work for me. I think he's trying to trust me and I'm trying to trust him, and we are trying to both work together better.

But then there was today. I was foolish and had all three dogs out with me and therefore couldn't concentrate on any one of them, wound up yelling at Megan (who deserved it - she zones out when she's focussing on something, cattle, an interesting scent, whatever), and then Celt got worried and got very hesitant.

I put the other dogs up and did a job with Celt alone and he did pretty well. Then I brought Bute out for something simple with Celt and, although Celt did well, I am not handler enough to keep tabs on two dogs and so Bute didn't learn anything worthwhile. Nevertheless, his enthusiasm is undimmed, and that's worth something.

Have I ever mentioned that 99.9% of Celt's problems stem from me?

Then there was the day when Ed was home with just Megan and Bute, and four of the neighbor's heifers got into our field. Ed, Megan, and Bute got three penned but the fourth decided to head out of Dodge. Ed, at the pen, sent Megan and Bute after her, out of sight. Recipe for disaster but, wouldn't you know it, here came the dogs bringing that unruly heifer back to Ed from several hundred yards away, and on into the pen. Since then, Bute's walked on water with Ed. He's got very high hopes for the little monster.

Ted's a hoot at only six months old, and Rocky will be a real good dog - right now, he's just a pup still. You guys have a great set-up for training, nice dogs and pups, lots of smarts, good stock, some good clinics and training under your belt, and will do well. Be glad you are not the old, slow-learner that I am proving to be.

Be glad you are not the old, slow-learner that I am proving to be.
No, I'm just a midddle-aged slow learner, which is almost worse! There's no saying about teaching a middle-aged dog new tricks. :rolleyes:

It sounds like things are clicking. Plateaus stink, but getting over them rocks!

Becca,

Renee got inspired to try BJ again (testing our not so pregnant ewes for lessons) and BJ was a young enthusiastic pup. BJ is a bit tight and good at giving a cardio workout. Then I decided to give Nell a spin. Renee was happy with BJ until I took Nell out; Nell's a child prodigy. She switches (staying at the same distance off). She's starting to wear and she's trying to figure out how things work. I see the very beginnings of an outrun. :rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D

Mark (he who had to brag on his pup)

Liz P - Yes, Celt is from the Brand/Nell litter. How'd you know/guess? You can PM me if you'd like.

Mark - I'm so pleased for you. I'm sure BJ will turn out every bit as good but will just take a little longer. BJ's a male and Nell's a bitch. Maybe that explains it. I've heard the females mature faster, like in humans? Bute, at least, is trying to figure things out. Anyway, I'm very jealous...

Sue probably had my PJ in mind (human boy). I think the same thing when I see BJ. You obviously didn't consult ME when you named your pup. :rolleyes:

Actually, I really like the initials name, very cool and not done too much. I like names that are traditional in style but not overdone.