BC Boards

Canine shows on PBS

I watched two excellent shows about dogs on PBS last night. It was a double-header with the second immediately following the first. :D Yay, two hours of canine TV. :) :) :)

I believe the PBS website (pbs.org) has at least one, if not both, shows available as video. The first show was a Nature show titled "Dogs That Changed the World". The second show was a NOVA show titled "Dogs Decoded". I am not sure, but both may have been British produced.

What can I say - it is some of the best TV I have seen in a while. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them. Even my husband watched BOTH of them. (I figured he was good for about 10 minutes max.)

I already knew about 80-90% of the information presented, but it was very well done and the new information was very interesting.

Jovi

I am watching them now off and on (DVR'd). I like the points being made about breeding practices, and people needing to understand the hard wired behaviors of their particular dog.

Terrierman has a clip on his blog today from "Dogs That Changed the World". It's about Salukis.

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/

I liked it well enough to buy a DVD of the show from Amazon. It's $17.49.

IMHO, this is one of the more memorable segments of the show. I was very impressed that the modern day Saluki owners have trained/bred their dogs NOT to kill the prey, as had been their job for centuries.

I was also impressed by the segment in which a British scientist?/anthropologist? was able to show and contrast pictures of a bulldog from the late 1800s with the modern bulldog. What a difference! He detailed the many structural changes that have been bred into the bulldog over the years and why the modern bulldog is actually a very poorly built dog. And I cringed listening to the bulldog owner (and judge) explaining what attributes (undershot jaw, narrow hips, extremely broad chest) are desirable in a bulldog - the same attributes that basically make the bulldog an unhealthy dog. Poor dogss

After seeing that segment, I would hope that all purebred dog owners would look at their breed with a critical eye as to the structural integrity of the breed. Probably too much to hope for.

Jovi

Archived