BC Boards

Raccoons carry potentialldangerous disease

KrisK

I found out that 2 young raccoons have been living in my duckhouse - probably for a month at least. Cannot figure out why they have not bothered my ducklings at all. If fact, last night when I finally found the culprits ONE was right in the same pen as momma and her 2 week olds. However, I received this from someone on another forum

"Our vet strictly told us NEVER to touch feces from raccoons. He explained that they CAN be carriers of a parasite that causes "Raccoon Roundworm Encephalitis". If transferred to humans it can wreak havoc on the central nervous system.

"In heavy infections, the brain undergoes postinflammatory atrophy, leading to the progressive neurologic impairment and severe incapacitation seen in surviving patients." (Oxford Journals, V.39 #10, pp 1484 Dr. William J. Murray)"

I had absolutely no idea about this...I've used the old straw on my vegetable gardens so potentially have spread all the round worms. The only recommended clean up is burning or burying...lovely!

This is just scary!!

I know that lots of you have far more raccoons that I'll ever have...maybe I'm being too paranoid about this!

They do carry this roundworm. You should absolutely discourage raccoons from living around your home, garden or barn.

they also can carry rabies, distemper, parvo, and lepto.

Don't feed them

Don't feed dogs, cats outside where raccoons can get their food.

Freezing for 60 days or fire can kill the eggs.

Use electric netting to keep them out of your garden, barn etc.

You should absolutely discourage raccoons from living around your home, garden or barn.

they also can carry rabies, distemper, parvo, and lepto.

Don't feed them

Don't feed dogs, cats outside where raccoons can get their food.

Freezing for 60 days or fire can kill the eggs.

I didn´t know raccoons laid eggs...(sorry I´ll stop now :D )

Archived