BC Boards

Are there any herding trainers in southern/central iowa?

Todd's Mom

We are a bit limited with Open handlers that work sheep and have trialed in the open field here in Iowa, most focus on cattle. You could start with any of the handlers I'm listing and they will lead you to understanding what it takes to acheive a good foundation, some have had more success then others, but I'm listing all of the open handlers that I can think of that have sheep expirence since distance is a factor for you. Forgive me if I miss someone, the list is short:

Bob Johnson, Tingley

Jenn Berger, Iowa City

Linda Meyer, Jewel, IA

Deb Meier/Wayne Bamber, Alden

Curtis Dukes, Kent

Jeff Mundorf, Red Oak

If I was down in Southern Iowa and had to pick a place to go it would be Bob Johnson's in Tingley. He gives lessons and has open practice each Tuesday. If you have aspirations to compete here in Iowa he will get you there if your dogs have the aptitude, he will also be able to set you up with a good foundation to go further, basically doing no harm if you wanted to take on big field sheepdog trials. Bob's focus is on cattle work, owning the current cattledog nursery champion, but he has trialed at USBCHA Open Sheepdog trials successfully, he has won the Iowa State Fair both on sheep and on cattle, and had the Highpoint Iowa dogs in both Open and Pro-Novice for the last few years.

If you have time, you can see and visit many of the handlers I have listed at the Iowa Sheep and Wool Festival Sheepdog Trial on June 11th, at the Dallas County Fairgrounds, Adel, Iowa. Sometimes the best way to pick someone to work with is to sit back and watch dogs, see whose dogs work and are handled in a manner that pleases you the most.

Hope this helps get you started.

Deb

I haven't really set any goals. I live in town so could never actually have any livestock. I have a 5 month old boy out of cattle herding lines who I would love to see doing what is natural to him. Not sure how well the others would do, two of them wouldn't be safe do to decreased vision and hearing and another has severe dysplasia, but my five year old may be interested as well. I am going to see if I can get the time off of work and go to that trial. In all honesty, I'm not sure what to look for but I am always amazed watching herding teams. If my two boys were interested and even good at it I certainly wouldn't write off competing though.

Which town do you live in?

If you can come on over to the National Cattledog Finals, it will be May 26th-29th in Redding. About 1/2 hour or so west of I-35 just north of the Missouri State line. Sunday will be the Finals for both Nursery and Open, crews will be on hand taping that day for the future RFD-TV broadcast and I'm hearing that Bill Northey (IA Sec. of Agriculture) may be dropping in one day...

More info and updates can be found at www.nationalcattledogfinals.net or on Facebook at 2011 National Cattledog Finals.

We used to go to the Ranch Horse Shows down there, last time Wayne took a header off of his cutting mare that went to cracking landing on the hard bare field dirt arena, came home with broken collar bone, ribs and wrist..had to drive the big rig home by myself for the first time (Mack with 45' semi horse trailer), all the lights went out round about Iowa City at 10:30pm, no flashers and then ran into a rain storm the next morning by Waterloo when I found out I didn't have windshield wipers either... oh yeah, to ice it no CDL either...memories attached to Washington and the hospital...

Just and FYI

Linda Meyer lives in Stanhope Iowa. I'm not an Iowain so not sure if that's important but thought I'd throw that out there.

She has helped me down this long road quite a bit.

Pretty close together, thinking she's about 6-7 miles west of Jewel, but yes, her address is Stanhope, was thinking of another handler the lives near her with a Jewel address.

She's up here by us on the flats where the wind almost seems to never stop blowing..

We used to go to the Ranch Horse Shows down there, last time Wayne took a header off of his cutting mare that went to cracking landing on the hard bare field dirt arena, came home with broken collar bone, ribs and wrist..had to drive the big rig home by myself for the first time (Mack with 45' semi horse trailer), all the lights went out round about Iowa City at 10:30pm, no flashers and then ran into a rain storm the next morning by Waterloo when I found out I didn't have windshield wipers either... oh yeah, to ice it no CDL either...memories attached to Washington and the hospital...

That sounds like a horrible trip! Next time you drive through, we can offer you a more comfortable bed. And hey, I'm a nurse so I can get you hooked up :) Actually hopefully your next drive through will be much LESS eventful!

She's up here by us on the flats where the wind almost seems to never stop blowing..

That's what I hear. :lol: Only I've lived on top the mountains in CO...talk about wind!

My son died his hair that bight red of youth. We moved there and the first day he had a hoodie on with the hood up. We hiked, his red hair blew back away from his face and I swore it looked like his head was on fire with flames shooting out around the hood! Wind...GAH!

Archived