BC Boards

New Job for my BC?

I am very familiar with the idea of goose control BCs - having read many stories about them (usually in a newspaper or magazine) and watched videos. I never thought I might need one myself.

We have a new pond on our property. My husband has wanted one for over 20 years, and he finally decided that this past winter was going to be when it happened.

OK, yay, I evisioned dogs swimming in the summer, but I did not think about geese. I thought that I had left those filthy birds back in suburban NJ. One could not avoid stepping in the nasty goose poop that would carpet public parks, etc. that had ponds.

Just 2 days ago, only 1 week into a filled pond, 2 geese showed up. I am guessing they may be a mating pair. I do NOT want a reproducing goose population.

So I immediately thought of my BC, Torque -- he has a serious job now! I would appreciate any tips on goose control. Feel free to point me in the direction of web resources or whatever. I am starting to research this information myself, and thought my first step would be this board that is always so full of information.

Thanks in advance,

Jovi

Don't know anything about actual goose control dogs, but I've used both my Lhasas to chase geese off property. The birds quickly learned to avoid my yard when I lived next to a lake and currently at work where geese sometimes show up, they know to take off before I even get the mighty little dog out of the car. :lol: There is more to the actual goose control work than simply chasing the birds away, but just doing that part of the job has worked well for me. Good luck.

Archived