BC Boards

Hi, I'm new and looking for a trainer

Chanda

I am about to purchase some Babydoll

Southdown sheep and, lucky me, I have a Border Collie who needs a job! The only problem is that I can not seem to find anyone to help me train her to herd them.

I live in Northern Santa Barbara County, CA. That is near Santa Ynez and Santa Maria.

How can I find a trainer near me? Is there a website that can help? Do any of you know anyone in that area?

Thanks in advance,

Chanda

Thanks guys!

I think the closer the better. Malibu is probably the closest and that is 2 hours away. But the real questions is how long would it take to get her trained to do very simple sheep moving?

If it would only take a couple of lessons then that would be fine. But, if I have to drive 2 hours and back every week for 10 weeks that would kind be a problem.

I live in such a rural area and I see Border Collies in the back of everyone's trucks. I have to believe that they must be working cattle with them. It shouldn't be that hard to find someone to help me, but for some reason I am just having trouble.

Well, it depends on the dog and what you want her to do. You are not going to have a fully trained dog in a couple of lessons. It takes years to train a dog, but if you catch on fast, then you could do alot of the work on your own. If the dog is willing, then it's more about you than the dog. You can do quite a bit if you have your own sheep if YOU "get it". I would reccommend that you get some tapes to help you out too. Maybe the Rural Route videos. There is a link on the USBCHA page.

Jenny Glen

Thanks for the message dsm! I emailed her.

I think this is going to be tough because I don't really know much about herding at all. Only what I have seen on TV (Dogs with Jobs and such).

I just know that my baby sheep are coming in June and by the time they are old enough to be let out into the vineyard (maybe 6 months or so)I am going to have to find some way to have my dog bring them back to the barn every evening.

Because I have absolutely no experience with herding I don't know how impossible of a task that is.

I do know that my dog is very smart and intense and has been quite easy to train in the past. She has only seen sheep one time and you could tell there was some kind of instinct there. She knew she was supposed to do SOMETHING. She just didn't know what.