BC Boards

roaming puppy

rustypup

Keep the pup with you when you are able. When you are not, confine the pup by using a crate or kennel.

Like many others, I felt a crate was like putting a pup or dog "in jail" and wasn't humane. Since trying one, I have found that a pup/dog that is crate-trained is a happy, well-adjusted dog with a valuable skill.

The use of a crate helps with house-breaking. A dog that is crate-trained is at an advantage if it needs to be at the vet's or a boarding facility, or needs to be confined in case of emergency.

I am not a fan of tying a dog but it is preferable to a pup/dog wandering, getting lost, hurt, or killed. In my opinion, any of these confinement options are very suitable and humane, as long as the dog has plenty of time with his human family and supervised time to run, play, and be a dog.

Many adult dogs do learn their property boundaries but ... the dog may be tempted to leave the property when it sees something "irresistable" like a cat or rabbit; it can leave the property to get into serious trouble with neighboring livestock; and other wandering dogs or animals will not respect the boundaries and may enter your property to engage in "activities" with your dog that may be harmful or fatal.

Like the "invisible fence", knowing the property boundaries is not a guarantee that your pup/dog won't leave the property or that another animal won't come onto the property, to disasterous results for your pup/dog.

Crating or kennelling when you can't be supervising your dog is not inhumane - it is very humane for an animal that is accustomed to it as it provides safety and security for your pup/dog.

The dog my parents had when I was very young was a BC mix, Duke. In their first house, before they fenced the back yard, they stretched string from stakes along where the fence would go. They taught Duke to stay within the string. This is similar to the "training" given to dogs when they install invisible fence. Flags (metal wires with vinyl strips) are placed when the invisible fence has been buried and the dog it taught to not go past the flags.

Use the same method as when teaching dogs to not run through open doors or to come into rooms that are off-limits. Use the visual cues (flags or string) while teaching then re-teach without the visual cues so that your dog doesn?t learn that without the cues there is not boundary. Duke was very good at staying within the string boundary but had little respect for the fence (no string).

Mark