BC Boards

disapline

mydogcallie

Cody was a major jumper and nipper. I tried everything to stop her but time was the only thing that worked. I think the best thing you can do is turn your back to her when she jumps and possibly try some bitter apples spray to deter her from touching you with her mouth. Yelling and hitting are an innefective form of diciplin. On the other hand loud grunts, acks, and ahems without using the pups name can also help. When my dogs act up, by that I mean get to rowdy, I just scream guys, or dogs and they all just stop and look at me funny.

An adult dog would get up and walk away. IF the puppy persists, you can use a gentle, QUICK, collar correction - don't yank or yell, just one little tug and leave it. If the puppy continues after that, put her in her crate for a minute, then try again. The crate is not punishment, but to "reset" the situation in the puppy's mind. Then you can start over again.

An older puppy should start learning NO. You can combine NO with any reminder and eventually just use NO. You can use any sound of course - I actually prefer the "buzzer noise" AAAAHH.