BC Boards

Trying to work lambs

Maralynn

I currently have about 20 feeder lambs. They are kept in the barnyard. These guys are quite used to seeing the dog, and while not particularly *tame*, they are pretty calm.

Last night I was working some of the sheep with Missy. One of the lambs had escaped to the main flock area. Miss controlled the sheep qiute well. But the 6 month lamb was a different story. He would walk up close to her. She pretty much tuned him out. A couple times she gave him a nip which would send him back with the others for a short time.

I am wondering if this is mainly a bold, curious lamb thing, or if it is something that Missy does (or does not do) that makes them feel they can act this way?

I'm not keeping any of these lambs, so I'm not too concerned about their "workability". But if there is a better way to handle this sort of situation, I'm all ears!

I think this is pretty typical. I like the dogs to do what you describe when the lambs are young - mainly work the mothers, allowing the lambs to follow "mama." (mine will sometimes "bump" or nose the little guys to move them.) But there definately comes a point where the dog & lamb need to transition to "adult sheep" mode. I do exactly what you're doing - as long as the dog isn't "savaging the sheep", I allow them to snap/nip (mine do a pretty good job of moderating their bite to the animal & situation - I don't think I taught this) but NOT ignore the lamb (I say "look back" if they pass/ignore a lamb). In the situation you describe, I MIGHT give a command to bite to signal that it's OK. It really depends upon how the animal is responding. The lambs learn pretty fast to move with the rest of the flock.

Kim

I have a dog that wouldn't "see" lambs until they were older and acting more like normal sheep.

Jack Knox recommended taking a young lamb, maybe 2 months old, and putting it in a round pen (the size you might use to start a dog) and having the dog work it in there. Of course keeping everything quiet. It worked for my girl, she automatically includes the lambs that may fade off. If she doesn't, I just give her a "eh eh" and she heads back for them. (still doesn't like it but will do it.)

Good luck!

Thanks for the replys! Missy will leave the lambs but also will go back and get them when told. I find it a little humorous. I can picture her thinking "good riddance with you guys - I have work to do". Her general attitude with them is that they are not "serious sheep" yet.

If we are working just lambs then she acts more like they were all "normal sheep".