BC Boards

The Dog Wars

Bullet87

I just wanted to thank Mr. McCaig for writing an excellent book! For someone like me, who when looking into getting my first BC, wasn't sure about getting an AKC dog or not, after reading this, I sure am glad I decided against the AKC. No one ever hears about any other clubs but AKC this and AKC that. I had no knowledge of any other dog registry as far as BC's went. Of course after much research I found the ABCA and decided they were the ones that really had the good, working BC's. The Dog Wars has really given me some ammunition for when talking to friends who think the AKC is all that and by far produces the best dogs ever. :huh: I am definately going to recommend this book to every dog enthusiast I know! :)

Thanks!!

P.S. Go Bears! Beat them Seahawks! :D

post-11137-073002200 1295202983_thumb.jpg

I can remember not that many years back when I was horrified that the AKC did not "recognize" the Border Collie. How could they not recognize the best dog there was? I've since come to realize that a lack of recognition was a blessing to the breed.

My thanks, too, to Mr McCaig - for the book, for his efforts in fighting AKC recognition, and for all his writings about the Border Collie.

Claudia I have some info to add to Donald's book will fill you in when I am in NM. AKC was sneakier than the book alludes. AKC definitely lied and worked the system to get what they wanted--a prancing show dog.

Thanks Pam, I figured there was more. I am just now really understanding the whole mess B)

I don't like typing that much and it is alot of behind the scenes in AKC. Advanced signs that the Aussie would be taken into AKC. The AKC continually requiring a show only standard (the first few clubs-and there were several--wanted some sort of working test prior to a bench championship). People like Iris Combes coming over from GB and hob nobbing with AKC big wigs, certain people suddenly changing from their previous AKC breeds to BC's(people who were highly visable in AKC)etc. I kept Ethel Conrad and Sally Lacy informed from time to time.

Archived