BC Boards

Dog leaves the stock while working

Bart

Let's say you have a fabulous herding BC, but you have noticed he can get bored or in other circumstances he leaves the stock and wanders. He is 19 months old. I probably caused this by giving him too much freedom as a puppy. Is there anything I can do?

Your other posts have made me think you just send your youngster out and expect him to know what to do in some pretty tough situations, without much actual training or supervision. Take him back to a controlled environment so you know where he is and what he is doing and you can help him out, before you ask him to do the kind of work you are expecting. From your other posts, it's hard to say, but it sounds more like stress and lack of confidence in tough situations than boredom to me.

He is trained and I don't work him too long. He is too young to do some of the stuff I have asked him to do, the problem is that he has done it in the past. I am not going to let him work outside my range any more.