BC Boards

dog broke sheep for sale?

wvcowman

Anybody in the tri-state area of Maryland, Virginia or West Virginia have any dog broke sheep for sale?

Please let me know, thank you.

I just started my dog and I have a great trainer but I need sheep to work her with at home. I'm afraid to work her on upbroke sheep.

Are there any breed recommendations if I can't find dog broke sheep?

Welcome! There are a number of members here in the tri-state area, and I'm assuming some will chime in with advice for you (and maybe be able to point you in the right direction).

Since I am sheepless (but not cattle-less), and rather clueless with regards to sheep, I'll wait to hear what others have to say. Meanwhile, if you are close enough to your trainer, might you be able to rent sheep time when you are far enough along to work by yourself?

If you're willing to consider NC, I have dog broke hair sheep for sale, as well as some dog broke wool sheep.

Julie

It depends on where in NC. I am on the VA/WV/MD border so NC is about 4-5 hours away. What are you asking for them? How many do you suggest I need to start with. I have 14 not dog broke hair sheep that are too friendly.

Thank you for all of the replies. I have found local sheep to purchase. I was at the trainers on Saturday and things went well. She has started waring now.

I am so envious - it sounds like you are doing a great job!

If anyone else is looking for puppy sheep, contact me. I have several for sale, and unfortunately if they aren't sold for dog working, they will end up on someone's table. That would be a shame simply because good puppy sheep aren't always easy to come by, but I really must reduce my flock and they are the most obvious choice right now (since most everything else is bred).

J.

Hi Nancy,

The puppy sheep are dorper crosses. I'm also selling some of my karakuls, some registered and some not. The younger, unregistered karakuls are dog broke (suitable for lessons and the like) but way too light for starting pups on. I'm trying to hang on to the tunis and mules for now.

J.

Tennessee Sheep Producers Association

There there are the MANY sheep breed associations member lists like:

Katahdin Hair Sheep International: TN

As far as dog broke sheep, there are USBCHA Sheepdog trials in Limestone, Lebanon, and Murfreesboro.

Yeah, I was being a bit facetious actually. But there is nowhere near me at all to go work my dogs. I've been to Jan Thompson's trial. She is about 2 hours from me. Lebanon and Murfreesboro are about 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 hours respectively. When the time comes that I am ready for sheep, I won't mind traveling however far to get the right sheep. Maybe Julie will have some good puppy sheep then too.

• 9 years later...