BC Boards

Training For a 4 Year Old

Micah

Hello all, I am new here, and I have a question.

My wife and I are getting a border collie from a friend, she is 14 and doesn't have time to take care of the dog. He is 4 years old and knows a couple commands. Other than that I don't think he has any training, but he is a good dog and won't jump up when told not to.

I would like to know if it is too late to train him to obey us. And eventually we would like him to heard sheep for us, but not in competitions or anything.

Also, he will be in the back yard most of the time. We have 1/2 acre and will have a 4' fence. Will this be sufficient?

Also, he is not neutered, would it be better to have him neutered this old? Or to just leave him?

Thank You,

Micah

Hi! you might want to try moving this to the General Border Collie Discussion - more people may see it and respond.

As far as training his age should not be much of a problem. The best thing to do would be to find a obedience class in your area that you could attend.

Fence height depends on the dog, but I think that most BCs could jump that height if they were so inclined. You might want to keep him on a leash for a while, and only let him in the yard when supervied until you are sure of what he will do.

Neutering would definately be a good idea.

There are alot of very knowledgable people here, and I'm sure that you will get lots of good advice!

Previously we had 5 ft fencing around our pens and one "guest" dog jumped it clear - although my dogs never jumped it. We now have 6' fencing with no problem. Also be sure that you make the fence "undiggable" - we did this on our old pens by placing boards underneath the ground around the pen (none of my dogs were diggers but sometimes I would bring in a rescue that was).

I see no reason why you should not be able to obedience train your new dog. Look for a recommended trainer or class instructor for your area.

I would think it would be a great idea to have him neutered - you might even want to consider a teeth cleaning at the same time if needed. Good luck!