BC Boards

arthritis in feet

Liz P

My first Border Collies did high impact sports; agility and dog sledding mostly. These dogs didn't have any arthritis in their feet, except for the one who did sports during his early years then worked sheep for the second half of his life. His feet weren't even that bad. It was just the toes he had broken that bothered him.

My next dogs worked stock exclusively. They developed the rounded, arthritic feet that I see in so many retired working dogs. My 9 year old bitch is experiencing more problems because of her sore toes than any of her other old working injuries.

Does anyone have a theory as to why the working (stock) dogs would develop arthritic feet with a higher frequency than the sport dogs? Maybe the sudden changes in direction while running full speed?

If you are wondering, my first Border Collies were not related.

My dog has only done agility, and chasing the frizbee/ball and she's got arthritis in both front feet - both medial and lateral toes. I don't really think its from the agility, I think its more the 110% effort she puts into chasing the ball and the fast turning and skidding when she gets it that has damaged her toes. I know her front feet bother her but she rarely limps unless she jams one of her front feet. Her left is worse and now when she goes in to get the ball, instead of having both front feet out to skid to a stop, she tucks that one under so she skids on the top surface of her carpus/toes. I guess slowing down to be more careful isn't in a border collie's brain...

Liz,

There is/was a dog down here (she passed away last year at 10 or 11)and she had horrible crippled toes- I mean like 10 times worse than your pix. the owner had a daughter to the dog & she has toes that are slightly worse than your pix.

I wonder if it is something in the lines? Do you have any (or know any) related dogs that are similar ages? I'd be curious to see if others are affected.

The two dogs I have owned with arthritic feet like that are totally unrelated. Those pics are of dogs owned by friends. They are related to each other, but not at all to any of my dogs. I've seen many other dogs of various bloodlines with arthritic feet. The one thing they have in common is hard work over many years on sheep or cattle.

Archived