BC Boards

one step forward two steps back!

lenbarry123

Hi everyone

I have just joined this forum and looking forward to talking with you all.

I have a bitch called Nell of 18 months old. I bought her part trained and have been trying to hone her to improving her standards. Just lately i feel as though things are going backwards. I know that is only to be expected but phew!

Nell, even though i say so myself is (was)excellent. She does(did)everything i ask but she has just started to sit on the pick up. Her outrun is good but she will lie down when she gets opposite me. Naturally, i encourage her to 'walk on' but she is slow in coming forward. I have to say that Nell isn't a strong willed dog. She has a strong eye but the sheep tend to stare at her and eventually they will begin to move towards me. It feels as though the ewes eventually move when they have had enough.

I did read an article that said that 80%of the training should be the 'walk on'. I thought this was a good idea and we did this day in day out. I somehow feel, at this stage, that i may have overdone things. Nell used to pick them up and draw them towards me.

Nobody wants a dog to be too strong but i sometimes wish that Nell was a bit more.

Any suggestions on how i can get back to normal?

Regards

Sean Lynch

"but she has just started to sit on the pick up. Her outrun is good but she will lie down when she gets opposite me. Naturally, i encourage her to 'walk on' but she is slow in coming forward."

I'm going to assume this is your complaint even though the second part of your posts confuses me when you say you've overdone the walk up.

The most common advice for this problem is keep her moving. If she "sits" on the pick up and won't move up, change your position, as in move clockwise (or counterclockwise) and then back up. This should make her get up to cover the new balance point and after she starts doing that your moving backwards should sort of suck her momentum forward.

I don't know how you're asking her on but an important thing to remember is too much encouragement can become negative pressure and shut her down rather than pick her up.

Can you give us some more details?

Denise