BC Boards

Karakul color question

Little Bo Boop

This is my new Karakul lamb, he's about 6 months old. When I got him, he was pretty much all brown, with just a tiny white cap on his head. As you can see the cap has grown quite a bit, and now he has white wool (really white!) coming out, all the way down his spine, and it seems to be spreading at a pretty good rate. Is this common? Any idea on how I can expect him to turn out (color wise) It's not big deal, just curious, as it's quite a big change.

58534_160081140674219_110865952262405_568665_6776943_n.jpg

63285_160081517340848_110865952262405_568670_4865127_n.jpg

Hey Betty,

I'm no expert on karakul color, but they do tend to grey out as they age, which is why true black lamb fleeces/pelts are so valuable. As grey is largely a mingling of white hairs with the "original" color, I would assume that your lamb is just going through the greying process. Some take a much longer time to go grey than others, and some never do, but most do.

If your lamb didn't have a long staple wool that caused it to divide down his middle, it probably wouldn't be as noticeable.

I would guess that your lamb would stay pretty much the color he is now, though he may get a bit more white in there.

J.

He always looks like that,( plus his feed pan was right in front of him when I took the pic) He's glued to the white one all the time. I was a bit concerned at first, so I hit him with wormer, and supplements (I still keep an eye on him) but he seems to be ok...COme down here and get a ram ;-) I know where you can get one LOL

Archived