BC Boards

change in USBCHA rules for obtaining trial sanction

Eileen Stein

I see that Section 2 of the USBCHA rules has been amended to read as follows:

B. New trial hosts, as well as existing hosts, must apply for sanctioning to the HA Secretary at least thirty (30) days prior to the trial entry opening date. They must specify the number of trials to be offered in each sanctioned class (e.g., 2 Open trials and 2 Nursery trials). If the HA Secretary deems it necessary, an Approval Trial Committee will review the request and either approve or disapprove. Errors or omissions by the trial host may be waived by the Trial Approval Committee and their decision will be final. All trial information must be published thirty (30) days prior to the trial opening date on the USBCHA website for Upcoming Trials. Trial information should include trial name and dates, contact name, phone number, email or web site address, and location. Upon request, the HA may furnish local district mailing addresses to the trial host.

Basically, this changes the sanctioning policy in two ways: (1) Sanction must be applied for and notice must be given 30 days prior to the entry opening date, rather than 30 days prior to the trial itself. (2) Notice will be by publication on the USBCHA website. Publication in a working border collie magazine, a club newsletter or a flyer mailed to the membership is no longer required.

I hope/expect that clubs will still provide notice in their newsletters.

I'm sure they will. It's an obvious benefit for their members, even if it's no longer a USBCHA requirement for sanctioning.

And I wonder if whoever maintains the USBCHA calendar will include trial opening dates on the calendar itself.

That would be good if it's feasible. In any case, I'm sure they'll continue to post the name and contact info of someone who can provide that and other information about the trial. And I suspect that nowadays most people see trial announcements through Sheepdog-L more than any other single vehicle, don't you think?

Archived