BC Boards

dosage question

I just got a packet of Prohibit (levamisole). I've only ever used the boluses, and I'm wondering if it's possible to just use a little(and how much) of the pwder. mixed with water for the treatment of a single sheep. I've got one wether that's a little wonky, and I want to hit him with some of this. It says to mix the whole packet up with a gallon of water, and that it will keep for 90 days that way...I'll do that if I have to, but just wondering if anyone knew what it would take for a single dose....

Betty

Hi Betty,

First of all, check the expiration date on the package. Some folks I know have gotten expired (like three years ago) packages recently.

If it's fresh powder, I would mix it up according to the package directions for the concentrated formula, which I believe is much easier to administer because the volume required is so much lower. I have used mixed up Levamasole for several months beyond the time it was supposed to expire and have not seen any decrease in efficacy.

Hi Betty,

First of all, check the expiration date on the package. Some folks I know have gotten expired (like three years ago) packages recently.

If it's fresh powder, I would mix it up according to the package directions for the concentrated formula, which I believe is much easier to administer because the volume required is so much lower. I have used mixed up Levamasole for several months beyond the time it was supposed to expire and have not seen any decrease in efficacy.

Hi Bill, thanks for the info. Interesting, I got this from Sheepmans? (is that the name of the outfit?) Someone else on the board said that they had a limited amount...They said you could only order 3 packets at a time. Looking at the package, Lot, no number and EXP. no date :rolleyes: hmmm....I guess I will go ahead and mix the whole amount. Can I keep that at room temp, or should I stick it in the fridge? Also should I talk to the folks that I got it from about the lack of lot # and exp. date?

Betty

Archived