BC Boards

I am NOT a Crook...

chad

...but I bought one a couple of weeks ago and have been taking it "with" when Bonnie and I go out.

Here's a funny thing. Bonnie was afraid of the crook at first, but I spent a couple of days tapping her with it gently, and swinging it around near her, and she figured out I wasn't going to whack her with it. Immediately that was out of the way, she started responding to me much more quickly, and just overall treats me like the crook is a symbol of authority! Has anybody else seen this? Could she maybe have been exposed to some training before I got her, or could it be genetic memory?

Could she maybe have been exposed to some training before I got her, or could it be genetic memory?
Seems to me it's simply that she knows you have a big, scary stick at your disposal.

I've only had 4 Border Collies; but I 've seen that some seem more sensitive to a stick/crook than others. It also seems to me that whenever these smart dogs sense that there may be a correction lurking in their future they do seem to try a little harder to figure out what it is you want.

charlie

Dot is one of those dogs that will work for anyone. I have noticed though that when Amy and I are together working dogs Dot gravitates to the person with the stick. Seems she associates the stick with getting to work. (I don't actually have a crook yet. I still work with one of those 4ft fiberglass sticks.)

Yeah, I bought mine, made of sweet chestnut, from Border Collies in Action, www.bordercollie.com, for 24 bucks. Great products and fair prices, though I avoid the BC chachkes in favor of more useful items!...

Its greatest use so far has just been as an extension of my arm/hand when Bonnie (the wilful bitch!) tries to stay out of reach.This morning she tried to wander off while I wanted her to heel to me. I hooked her collar and reeled her in. :rolleyes: