BC Boards

working a young dog on ewes and lambs

NancyO

Hi,

since everyone seems to be lambing, I was wondering. At what age or maturity do you start working a dog with ewes and lambs. I've heard you don't want to work a young dog on them, as they my fight the dog and hurt it's confidence.

Nancy O

Guest PrairieFire

I'm with Inci - the stock is the important thing, dogs are secondary...

I've seen some young dogs handle ewes and lambs well - in fact, I insist my dogs learn to do this, that is what they are FOR...to handle livestock.

In order to do this, they need to have progressed far enough to be able to work quietly and calmly...sometimes I've found that "doing chores" with some of the "hotter" dogs has been exactly what they've needed to learn stock sense - rather than just drilling...

Like Inci, some years I keep out a few wethers for training - I didn't this year, but I've got some younger lambs that didn't take - so they will probably get to be "puppy sheep" when the ground thaws...

Let me rephrase this, not actually looking to work the dogs on ewes and lambs except if I needed to move them from one place to another, and am actually talking about lambs that are 8-10 weeks old that will most likely still be with the ewes. At that age they don't have any fear of a dog and will go right up to the dog.

Haven't had to move any lambs yet as the couple that I've had are still in a protected area with shelter with their moms. I do have other sheep that I will actually work and train the dogs on if the weather should ever cooperate.

So I guess the question is how do you go about getting the dog to move the lambs. The dog I would like to work and move them with is just 2, works quitely with great self control and listens well so I'm not worried that he will disturb the ewes and lambs, but, and I quess this is where the training question starts, I would like to find out what to do if the lamb should just stand there and not move, come up and sniff the dog etc. I guess this is where the question about hurting the confidence of the dog comes into play.

So if a lamb just stands there or goes up to the dog, do I stand next to the dog and while encouraging the dog to walk up on the lamb, use my physical presence to start moving the lamb away from the dog, or what.

Nancy O

A funny, sort of on-topic story: My friend was bringing in her ewes and lambs so we could worm the ewes and band the lambs' tails. She has several ewes that are very protective and will think nothing of charging a dog, but they do know her dog and so will move for him. I couldn't help but laugh, though, when she flanked her dog around to the left to pull the sheep off the fence and running along behind the dog, doing its own perfect little flank, was a little lamb.... He looked like he as chasing the dog (probably was)!

J.

Guest PrairieFire

"do I stand next to the dog and while encouraging the dog to walk up on the lamb, use my physical presence to start moving the lamb away from the dog, or what."

Yes.

Generally, at least with my flock, the young ones will tag after mama given a chance - the stragglers may need pushing - this is an excellent chance to teach and learn with your dog...

Even my "roughest" dog won't chomp a lamb - pushing and shoving, yes...Craig (whom I refer to as my "shepherd's dog" demonstrated at less than two years old the "shoulder shove" where he will gently nudge a lamb in the proper direction), but walking up and helping is a good thing, at first...

I also don't mind teaching lambs right off the bat to, not be afraid of people or dogs necessarily, but to be "wary" (as derived from "aware")...