BC Boards

Sheep, fence and a dog

2 Devils

I posted this on the general board in response to Shawna but I figured I might get some more help here. I seriously do want to get my dogs to take the sheep off the fence...

So here is my question---when the sheep are against the fence, how can you teach a dog to take them off the fence. My herding breeds cannot manage this but darn it, my 9 lb poodle has a beautiful outrun, gathers those sheep and can even get them off the fence. It really is embarrassing that my poodle is doing better than my bc/mix and my cattledog...OK herding nazis--no slams for having a herding poodle We put him out there to see what would happen and he enjoyed it. First time out, he actually made a ram respect him when he bit the nose. The ram looked like it was about to attack my lil guy.

I know poodles don't really herd but you should see the little guy. He has so much fun gathering up those sheep...he is always so proud. I am serious that my poodle seems to herd better than the herding breed dogs and I really cannot take the embarrassment :eek:

I had a smooth fox terror which had to be put away if I wanted to work the BC's. He could do an amazing outrun around about 100 head, bring them down the field etc (we won't say what happened when one split off :rolleyes: For fences and corners, I usually try to get the dog to go in slowly along the fence (by my body placement) and ease the sheep off the fence.

Pam

Please do tell what happened :rolleyes:

Its really bad when I need to bring in the poodle to get the sheep off the fence and once that happens I will put him back out and let other dog try to work...the big dogs just don't get it.

Should I try allowing the other dog(s) to follow the poodle in when he gets the sheep off the fence and maybe they will catch a clue?

Hi Kim,

1. Lose the poodle.

2. Take the dog by the collar and walk between the sheep and the fence, with you closest to the sheep. Once you have moved the sheep away from the fence by you body pressure and the presence of the dog on your other side, release the dog, go through the sheep and let him/her wear them to you.

3.. If the dog has balance and is starting to get the idea, stand on the OPPOSITE side of the sheep to the dog (eg. sheep at 12 on the fence, you at say 8 and dog at say 4) and use the dog's balance to encourage him/her to go between the sheep and the fence to balance the sheep to you. Allow dog to wear sheep towards you, away from fence.

PS I once saw a Lhasa Apso work sheep its first (accidental) time on sheep better than anything I've ever seen.

Andrea

Funny fellow that cgt of Utah.

There was a scene in "Blade Runner",picture turning and exposing what could not be seen by naked eye. If we put that picture into same perspective,we may actually see a Border Collie about 20-30 yards away controlling those sheep.

Or,they are using AKC's finest peanut buttered butt sheep.

Anyway,back to Kim's question.

Sounds like the sheep discovered the safe haven by the fence.

Andrea gave you some good advice,try them.

Other thing I would do,look for signs of strong eye in your dog. Strong eyed creature don't really care where they hold sheep as long as they are together. Does your dog have a solid down? If he does,down him about 10-15 yards prior to reaching sheep to give sheep an escape space. Don't stand out to hold the pressure on them,move closer to your dog. With both of you away from their path,they'll easily peel off from fence. Once they do,don't let your dog run to cover them.

Keep him down,walk about half way and towards sheep and give him the flank to run along the side of the fence. Most strong eyed,young dogs will try to cross and bring sheep right back to fence line,if yours will try that,put him on a long line until he gets what he supposed to do.

I'm quite tired,I could see the whole thing in my mind but putting on words may not make much sense to you. I could draw it and send it on if you want me to.

"There was a scene in "Blade Runner",picture turning and exposing what could not be seen by naked eye. If we put that picture into same perspective,we may actually see a Border Collie about 20-30 yards away controlling those sheep."

Reminds me of the time I had a ? out and had to use Hobbes to back it up. He was absolutely disgusted, you should have seen the look on his face. If I took him away, the sheep would ADVANCE on the ?."Gloria, what is that? I don't know Esther, let's go take a look." [ bullets used to deflect outraged replies]

Good eyes, Inci. That photo (taken at the recent series of Southern California trials) shows a little dog who apparently insisted on working exhaust at one of the trials. But just outside of the picture is a Border Collie who is keeping those sheep so nicely organized. I had to ask the person who sent me that photo, but you are right Kim, I am told that little blob of fur is a Yorkshire Terrier.

charlie

My daughter's 20 lb. Spitz mix has all the ambition to follow in her big brother's steps - maybe surpass them. She doesn't have any eye, but if she could follow a good driving dog around for a while, I think she'd be great. Her other technique is to bark at a brassy old ewe until the ewe gets mad enough to chase her - then leads her in - it worked the other day. Course, we got lucky - she ran in the direction I wanted her to go anyway. Guess there are a few things that B.C.'s can learn from other dogs - haha.

I have a friend with a Schnauzer that must be heck-on-4-legs around the sheep. Guess it's that little dog mentality of not knowing the meaning of the word "die".

Getting back to the original problem, Blaze was really hesitant to get right in tight with my sheep (the older ones can get pretty nasty), so I started taking him in with my 3-4 month old weaned lambs in the barn. It was a fairly small pen, and we just "had fun" getting the sheep moving - I'd try to cut him off so he had to go between them and the wall, and really praised and encouraged with lots of enthusiasm to get him excited. Seemed to help build his confidence.