BC Boards

Need to find a trainer in the NC/VA area...ASAP!

RBingham

I am trying to find someone experienced at training stockdogs to help a newbie family learn to use a stockdog on their farm. They run a family farm and really need a dog to help them out, but don't know who to contact, or where to turn in their area to find the right dog, or the right trainer. I know there are some people from the above-mentioned states that post on this board regulary, so I'd be very grateful if they would please contact me!!! I can be reached privately at dbingham@alphacomm.net

I need some names and numbers...please!! Thanks very much,

~Ronnie

Robin French (Shoofly is her user name) is excellent. So is Julie Poudrier (juliepoudrier is her user name). Both are in central (?) NC. Karen Hart is also in NC (she works dogs on cattle - user name is Howdyjabo).

There are a number of people in VA - Roy and Debbie Johnson near Gladys/Rustburg VA are excellent, and work both cattle and sheep.

Where are your friends located? That might help narrow things down.

Robin French (Shoofly is her user name) is excellent. So is Julie Poudrier (juliepoudrier is her user name). Both are in central (?) NC. Karen Hart is also in NC (she works dogs on cattle - user name is Howdyjabo).

There are a number of people in VA - Roy and Debbie Johnson near Gladys/Rustburg VA are excellent, and work both cattle and sheep.

Where are your friends located? That might help narrow things down.

First, thanks very, very much for the suggestions! The folks I'm trying to help are located near Asheville, NC. I checked, and so far, the Henry's are the closest at 112 miles from them--which isn't too bad. Julie P. and Robin are both 3-4 hrs away. These people work on their farm (a goat dairy) so driving a long distance for weekly lessons with the dog would be difficult for them, as they work a lot. They need somebody relatively close who they can call if they have problems, and someone they can go to for regular lessons/training sessions, so they can get the most out of their dog. I have talked with Alice Urquhart, who lives near Asheville, a couple of times at the Bluegrass. I checked my USBCHA directory, and gave them her name and number. They tried calling and said they even left a message, but have heard nothing back. Does anyone know if Alice still lives at the number listed for her in that directory? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!

~Ronnie

First, thanks very, very much for the suggestions! The folks I'm trying to help are located near Asheville, NC. I checked, and so far, the Henry's are the closest at 112 miles from them--which isn't too bad. Julie P. and Robin are both 3-4 hrs away. These people work on their farm (a goat dairy) so driving a long distance for weekly lessons with the dog would be difficult for them, as they work a lot. They need somebody relatively close who they can call if they have problems, and someone they can go to for regular lessons/training sessions, so they can get the most out of their dog. I have talked with Alice Urquhart, who lives near Asheville, a couple of times at the Bluegrass. I checked my USBCHA directory, and gave them her name and number. They tried calling and said they even left a message, but have heard nothing back. Does anyone know if Alice still lives at the number listed for her in that directory? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!!

~Ronnie

Ronnie,

Alice lives up near Winchester, VA, now. The only person I know who lives out that way is Dwight Parker. He doesn't normally give lessons as far as I know, but might be a resource they could call on for general information/help and he might be able to point them to someone local who can help if he can't. And he's pretty close in Brevard: Blue Ridge Border Collies. His day job is as a state trooper, so his availability might be a bit limited as well. Another person who lives in the Asheville area but also doesn't give lessons as far as I know is Tina deAngelo. But again, she lives out there and might know someone who could be a resource for your friends. Her e-mail is osci at aol dot com.

J.

I am trying to find someone experienced at training stockdogs to help a newbie family learn to use a stockdog on their farm. They run a family farm and really need a dog to help them out, but don't know who to contact, or where to turn in their area to find the right dog, or the right trainer.

Hey everybody!

I'd like to thank everyone from this board who responded to my plea for help for the Owen family to find a trainer. They have made some phone calls, sent some e-mails, and it sounds like they will be working with either Tina deAngelo or Dwight Parker, or a combination of both, to learn how to use and further train the dog that they have chosen to help them on their farm. I truly appreciate all of you taking the time to respond to my e-mail. In case anyone was wondering, the Owen family runs the Spinning Spider Creamery and goat dairy in Marshall, NC. They inquired about my ad for Boone (the BC/Kelpie mix who I had listed on the rescue/adoption page here on the Boards). After MANY e-mails and phone conversations, reference checking and, in general, just giving them the 3rd degree, it sounds as though Boone will be traveling to NC to be a goat dog! A VERY heartfelt thank you goes out to everyone here who helped make this happen :-)

Most sincerely,

Ronnie Bingham

Archived