BC Boards

My dog's first time with Sheep..photos..and a question

coyotecreek

Ive not frequented this area of the boards much, but wanted to share some photos of my Border Collie/Aussie, Kate, at her first experience with Sheep. this was a small event targeted at people who had working stockdog breeds, and wanted to see if they possesed the instinct to possibly continue stockdog training. Kate received a certificate and did, what I thought, was a really good job.

Id like to share the photos, if that is OK?

You'll have to go here

KayLeigh Kandids 2010 events

(the photographer did a great job!!!)

then click on

Working Australian Shepherd Club of Oklahoma Meet the Sheep TX March 2010

The shutterfly photos are in alphabetical order..Kate

I do have a question..

Being she is a cross between the two (and its not just a guess, her mother was a BC, father was an aussie..she was born "homeless" though), I was really curious to see what type of working style she'd have..I love the working BC style, with lots of eye..but based on Kate's performance this past weekend, I think Im going to say she works more like an aussie..am I right in that assumption?

She got glowing remarks and really seemed to take this seriously..she started to "Chase" abit in the end, but responded immediatly to redirecting her mind...as the photos show.

I do admit..I enjoyed myself alot as well..and I would like to continue training her to work stock, so she can evetually help me on our place.

Sarah

so she could potentialy change her "style" the more experience she gets?

Ive been told "good" border collies are unmistakable in how they work, even as inexperienced dogs..they use alot more eye and "crouch" then the other breeds.

I am trying to learn, so please bear with me. :rolleyes:

Sarah

I took a gander at the photos, and I see she is doing some heading, that is a good sign. That rope looked awful heavy to me- I would have to wonder how she would react to a lighter rope.

As to the un-mistakable working style, that's a bit broad. Some BCs lack much eye, some have too much and some in between. Danny, my BC youngster, has eye but not much- in fact, Lucy, my Kelpie appears to have more at this point. Eye comes with confidence, generally. Your dog just started. Go to a good trainer and see how it goes, and forget about her breeding.

so she could potentialy change her "style" the more experience she gets?

Ive been told "good" border collies are unmistakable in how they work, even as inexperienced dogs..they use alot more eye and "crouch" then the other breeds.

I am trying to learn, so please bear with me. :rolleyes:

Sarah

thanks kelpiegirl..my experience has been with Heelers and that is it..:rolleyes:

Heading, you mean like going to the sheeps heads' to "stop" them??

They have a clinic coming up in June that I am probably going to attend.

thanks for the info and your thoughts.

Janet, thanks so much for that insight! I think I will take that approach to her stockdog training..Kate must develop her own style and way of doing it..like you discovered with your Mattie.

Sarah

Well she has plenty of interest which is a good thing. She seemed to have moments of BC style and plenty of Aussie bounce. Did she ever manage get on balance, where she gets around the sheep and tries to hold them or bring them to you? If she can do that, you can make a useful dog of her. Good luck and keep going.

Glenn, yes, bounce is a good word for some of her "moves"..kind of exhuberent.

There was a time or two where she would cut the sheep off at the heads and turn them the opposite way...reminded me of how we work cattle horseback in reined cowhorse.

I hope the clinic in June will give me alot more homework to practice on..I plan to keep going..I really love this and was encouraged to get good remarks from the instructor at this event..gave me abit of reassurance that Kate might do well.

Archived