BC Boards

Second dog

I have a 7 year old border collie. I work as a horticulturalist at two golf courses and Reb comes with me every day to chase the geese away. She is a very good goose dog, even ganders defending their nests don't intimidate her.

I got her when she was three. She had been an outside dog and wasn't very well socialized. She had had one litter of pups, but is spayed now. It took me a year to get her to be the confident dog she is today. She gets along fine with dogs who aren't in her face. She is food aggressive.

I have been considering getting a pup to train for when she is too old to work. Plus I'm considering making a side business of goose removal and two dogs would be a bonus.

I made the mistake of finding a puppy today. Reb and he got along fine. When he got too friendly, she barely raised her lip and he backed off. He is four months old and everything I want in a pup.

Our life is happy now. Reb knows what is expected of her. A pup will throw a wrench into that. I probably won't be able to take two dogs to work with me, so the new pup will have to stay home at least for this year. Reb goes everywhere with me now, and I can't imagine leaving her home in the future.

Reb's best dog friend died recently, so she has no one to play with. That means she pesters us more at night, even though I play frisbee with her every day.

I'm torn. Do I upset the apple cart? Have any of you introduced a pup to a dog like Reb? Do they work out their differences?

Of course, I may be leaning towards getting the pup, look who I'm asking for advice!

I have a 7 year old border collie. I work as a horticulturalist at two golf courses and Reb comes with me every day to chase the geese away. She is a very good goose dog, even ganders defending their nests don't intimidate her.

I got her when she was three. She had been an outside dog and wasn't very well socialized. She had had one litter of pups, but is spayed now. It took me a year to get her to be the confident dog she is today. She gets along fine with dogs who aren't in her face. She is food aggressive.

I have been considering getting a pup to train for when she is too old to work. Plus I'm considering making a side business of goose removal and two dogs would be a bonus.

I made the mistake of finding a puppy today. Reb and he got along fine. When he got too friendly, she barely raised her lip and he backed off. He is four months old and everything I want in a pup.

Our life is happy now. Reb knows what is expected of her. A pup will throw a wrench into that. I probably won't be able to take two dogs to work with me, so the new pup will have to stay home at least for this year. Reb goes everywhere with me now, and I can't imagine leaving her home in the future.

Reb's best dog friend died recently, so she has no one to play with. That means she pesters us more at night, even though I play frisbee with her every day.

I'm torn. Do I upset the apple cart? Have any of you introduced a pup to a dog like Reb? Do they work out their differences?

Of course, I may be leaning towards getting the pup, look who I'm asking for advice!

It's a rare day when I don't leave the house with at least one Border Collie in tow. We go in any combination of one, two , or three... depending on the destination and each one gets a one on one journey....it's a week's work just to make sure they all get out and about . If you decide to get this pup or another one, you're going to be toting two dogs around....the pup is too young to stay home all day by itself and any dog needs to be out and socializing anyway....get a booster seat for the golf cart and a crate you can stash away somewhere cool and quiet when he needs a nap....:rolleyes:

Liz

Hey there ~

I'd say you're going to have to take two dogs with you, anyhow, because leaving a BC puppy home alone is a recipe for disaster. If nothing else, he could be learning social skills, how to walk on leash, and how to wait quietly in a crate. I'd shudder to imagine what my 7 month old, Gael, would do if left home to grow up. I wouldn't have a stick left standing on the place! :rolleyes: And my neighbors would hate me for the barking. BC pups don't take well to long periods alone, in my experience.

If I'm reading right, Reb has already met the puppy you're looking at, right? And the meeting went well? That's good! I'd say the question then would be, if you got this pup, would you have the time to really be sure this pup learns to respect her space and her boundaries? I had an old BC girl that was very space conscious, and so long as they kept a respectful arms' length, she was fine. But if they got overly friendly or playful - snap!

I would not quite trust a dog with Reb's history to just 'work it out' with a pup. You'd have to be ready to help her out, to show the pup his limits, and to help her maintain her comfort zone without her feeling crowded or finding the need to snap at him. Especially as the pup grows and becomes more confident, himself. It would be your job to be Reb's back-up, and to make sure the pup knows he's at the bottom of the pack order, and that he'll get his lovin' but he has to be kind to her.

If you feel comfortable with that, and with dividing your time for a puppy, go for it! But if you've any qualms or misgivings, that might be your better instincts telling you to wait. :D

Cheers ~

Gloria

Other than the fact that Daisy is not a working dog and she does not get to come to the office with me every day, this situation mirrors my own. I was really worried about adding a puppy but it was definitely the right decision for me. Seamus was 11 weeks when he came home and for the first few weeks I watched them both very carefully. For the most part I allowed Daisy to set her own rules as to what kind of behaviors she would tolerate from the puppy. I only interfered if I considered her reaction to be out of proportion without the perceived insult. So, for example, if she was gnawing on a bone and the puppy got too close, she was allowed to raise her lips and maybe snap lightly, but if she actually made any contact with him I sent her straight to her crate to cool off. Now she is completely tolerant of everything he does. She'll even let him try to take a ball or bone right out of her mouth, which considering her history of resource guarding around other dogs, is absolutely amazing.

Have you thought of getting a young adult over a puppy? With a puppy and a reactive dog you'll have to be on your toes quite a bit more, then when it hits it's "teenage" years, you may find your self in a situation where the dogs do not get a long at all. As a person with a dog-reactive dog, I know it can be quite challenging. I've worked very hard to get my dog to the place she is now. All interactions with other dogs have to be watched. Especially small dogs/puppies. She is fine with adult dogs who respect her space, dogs who understand and have great dog-dog communication skills and we foster and have just added a second dog. So, it can be done, but the amount of work/effort it will take depends on the personalities of the two dogs in question. That's why I suggested a young adult. They are usually up to par with their communications skills and by this age, you will know the personality of the dog and know for sure if they are going to get a long or not. As for the food aggression... well, feed them each in their crates so there is no chance of an issue.

Thank you all for your responses. Some great advice.

I've figured out why I'm hesitant to get the puppy. By looking for a new dog, I'm admitting that Reb's life will have an end. I've had many dogs, but Reb is so very special. We know each other so well that I seldom have to tell her what to do. She knows and does it.

A puppy is going to stir the pot!

I have no supervising her and the pup for the first few weeks. She was a mom once and her breeder told me she was very good. When Reb and the pup met they had an immediate understanding. I think a four month old pup might be more intuned to an older dog's signals because he lives with them now.

Feeding in the crate was what I was thinking. Reb hasn't used her's in a few years, but I think I'll get it out so she has her own space. The pup will have his own too.

I will be able to take the pup to work some days, but my boss won't let him come everyday. I work when I want, so I can certainly come home at lunch and let the pup out for a while. I have time a lot to spend with him. He'll be well socialized and start obedience as soon as he can.

On the food aggression, Reb was fine with her dog friend, just not dogs she didn't know. I'm hoping that will work it's self out.

So, I'm still thinking. I think it's more a matter of when not if, and that pup was perfect.

Thank you all for your responses. Some great advice.

I've figured out why I'm hesitant to get the puppy. By looking for a new dog, I'm admitting that Reb's life will have an end. I've had many dogs, but Reb is so very special. We know each other so well that I seldom have to tell her what to do. She knows and does it.

A puppy is going to stir the pot!

I know that feeling!! Missy is my good girl and we understand each other. I felt guilty adding the second dog because I felt a bit like I was betraying her. And for a month or so she didn't really care for him. But then came winter and the chase games in the snow. I loved watching the two of them have fun and really enjoy each other. They became a very good fit for each other. Missy is the boss, Kipp understands, life is good for both of them. It did take some adjusting. But it turned out to be the right choice in my case.

I know that feeling!! Missy is my good girl and we understand each other. I felt guilty adding the second dog because I felt a bit like I was betraying her. And for a month or so she didn't really care for him. But then came winter and the chase games in the snow. I loved watching the two of them have fun and really enjoy each other. They became a very good fit for each other. Missy is the boss, Kipp understands, life is good for both of them. It did take some adjusting. But it turned out to be the right choice in my case.

This was exactly our experience. Added to the fact that I named the puppy Seamus, which I later learned means "supplanter." Oops :rolleyes:

post-7813-1269713924_thumb.jpgWell, I got the pup last night. Things are going well, but we're taking it slow. Reb was most upset with him in her back yard. However, everytime I take him out there, she gets to go out and play frisbee while he watches. She's seeing this might be a good thing.

No food aggression yet. He even ventured into the kitchen while she was laying there and no reaction. I'm keeping him in his crate when he naps.

Reb is almost completely ignoring him.

Thanks again for the help. I think this is going to be fun.

Archived