BC Boards

Establishing Job List - No Laughing Bill

J. Williams

Well, after looking through the different forums I've settled on this one to solicit a bit of help... looks as good as any.

I'm coordinating volunteer help for the 2003 National Cattledog Finals, and while I've established a decent list of trial jobs that benefit from volunteer help, I don't want to miss the forest for the trees.

I'd appreciate hearing from those who have spent time coordinating volunteer trial help and/or volunteering themselves. It probably would be beneficial to also hear from folks who can remember a point in time when they found themselves wondering why the trial hosts didn't think of this or that (no specific trial names please).

As always, advance thanks for any thoughts you might be willing to share.

Guest PrairieFire

I hope you don't think I'd be laughing at one so inclined to take on such a thankless, hard, detail oriented, thankless, tough, dirty, thankless, job where it is so easy to overlook a critical detail that could literally spoil the entire trial for every single dog, handler, spectator and even cow...?

One thing I need to do for my next trial is "overbook" some of my volunteer spots - although folks mean well and certainly do thier best, you just can't expect people to spend most of their free time working - it's hard and can get boring...I will feel better if I don't have to work my dear friends and helpers so bloody hard, y'know?

So maybe twice as many volunteers as I think I need...

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com