BC Boards

Nearsightedness

Debbie Meier

I thought this was an interesting article, please note that is based on a small limited sample:

http://www.nearsightedeyes.com/dogs-myopia-nearsightedness/

Wayne and I have had conversations many times about how is seems like some dogs can see great distance while others don't, I also have noticed some that don't seem to pick up on subtle changes in the livestock, such as an ear flick, or lean where as another sees every little change and I didn't know for sure where the deficiency in ability was, was in drive, stock sense, etc... Anyway, I just thought it was an interesting concept to consider. Also, I wonder how nearsightedness would effect the attitude of the dog.

Deb

Yes, interesting. It makes sense though that, when you no longer have the same selection processes, things like this will creep (or run) into the population, so to say.

I wonder what the expense would be to have an eye test done, just thinking of all the people that I have known that have spent a lot of money taking lessons with a dog that just never get's anywhere. They are pet owners and wouldn't give the dog up for the world, but just want to try doing more with the dog then having it as a house pet. Would it be cost effective to suggest having the dogs hearing and sight tested before taking it to stock or even doing agility and such, especially if the dog is not from fully proven parents. I guess I'm looking at the long term cost savings along with saving a bunch of frustration.

Deb

Doing a hearing test can be reasonably priced. I just had one done but circumstances allowed me a very affordable test. Vision test? That might be something that would require personal observation if there is no such thing (other than CEA and PRA, or just an eye exam). It was personal observation that allowed us to see that our Megan was losing her hearing.

Who knows what affects some dogs that we may or may not be able to measure. Quite an interesting issue.

I had a refraction (test for myopia) done on one of my dogs because I was concerned that he did not seem to be seeing sheep at the top on long courses. He tested normal, so that wasn't the problem. As I recall the refraction was about $40, but I was having a general CERF-type exam done as well so the total cost was probably close to $150. Vet fees run kinda high in this area, in general.

I did have a friend who brought her dog in for an ophthalmic exam after she ran into the post at a trial. The dog was diagnosed with moderately severe myopia, and was actually fitted with contact lenses. They were the disposable kind, and they did make a difference to the dog's functioning. She only wore them for a couple of years, and by no means all the time during that period (mainly for trials), but the dog seemed to "see" somewhat better even after their use was discontinued, as if she had learned something from seeing the world in sharper focus for awhile.

I have definitely noticed a huge variation among dogs with regard to spotting livestock at a distance.

Here's another article, would love to read the entire version

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/pdf/10.2460/ajvr.69.7.946

Kinda thinking that a test for nearsightedness or farsightedness could be as useful or more useful then some of the genetic testing. Especially if they are finding that it runs in families.

This one suggests other factors that could effect the dogs ability to pick up motion and such, maybe something to do with a dog testing normal but still unable to pick up on motion at distance:

http://psychlops.psy.uconn.edu/eric/class/dogvision.html

Archived