BC Boards

I am pretty sure I have the loudest border collie

Sugarfoot is another 40lb BC with a big GSD dog bark. Fortunately she only uses it if someone she doesn't know well or dislikes comes to the door of my apt., or if there is a stranger anywhere in the hall. (I have a screen door, and the regular door is usually open for air-flow.) She is gradually toning it down as she gets more secure, but she will raise the hair on the back of your neck with this trumpeting, bellowing "GET AWAY FROM MY DOOR!" bark. She recently embarrassed herself by unleashing this assault-bark on the dog-walker, Chris, whom she adores. She gave one of those window-rattlers, followed by a tiny interrogative "woof," that showed that she realized her mistake. She was so apologetic to him. We heartlessly laughed and pointed at her.

Thank God I manage the building! At least we won't get thrown out before she gets past this...

Kit loves to let me know if there's someone outside (a couple of quick alarm barks) and she goes nuts with excitement if someone knocks. I've had guests say to me "Wait, that was all her? Judging from the ruckus, I thought you must be dogsitting a couple of extras!"

She also has this high-pitched shriek that she lets out when she's super excited. It's triggered by the word "READY?" ("Yes, mom, I'm READY"). I've finally trained her that she's not allowed to bark out of impatience to tell me to throw the ball/frisbee, but as soon as it's out of my hand, she shrieks as if to say "GOT IT MOM - this one's mine!"

Loudest bark award goes to my dogs, Lightning even has an award to prove it from one of our local fairs, lol! Most of the time they're quiet, but if we're going to "do" something, oh boy, you can't hear a thing when they get going. Total chaos for the first few minutes when I take them out into the field, or the backyard, or when I turn on the tap in the yard to fill their water bucket. And when it comes to sledding? That's a whole other realm of crazy. If I even touch the sled they go nuts. At races most of the dogs bark and scream (and the sibes can make some really weird screaming noises), but mine start as soon as I take them out of the truck and all the way up to the line. As soon as the countdown is over though and they're running it's total silence. A couple of mine have really high pitched yelping kind of barks that are really piercing. One of those is Flurry and it sounds really funny to hear such a noise coming from one of the biggest dogs I have. Flurry and Rain also woo to greet people and sometimes so does Storm.

Archived