BC Boards

Help

My aussie possible BC mix, went romping through the woods this afternoon after a small woodland creature (can you say bad recall), anyway when she came back, her tail and skirt are just matted with burrs, any tips I have never had a dog with hair like this before.

I have some wire brushes but they are not cutting it. Should I get a comb?

If the burrs are really tangled, the least painful way to remove them is to cut them out with scissors. If not, a comb with wide tooth spacing works well.

I've had Bouviers for years, and they have much more coat than Borders. The scissors get much use on the Bouvs, and you don't notice the places where you have cut stuff out.

If you've got a store nearby, try children's hair detangler, or pet coat conditioner.

Or mix 4-5 parts water to 1 part hair conditioner in a spray bottle, shake well, spray on the burrs. Let it set for a couple minutes, and then try brushing it out. It will still take a little while, but those burrs should come out easier.

A slicker brush worked fine for us, but there are so many different types of burrs...if all else failed, I'd probably cut them out before more coat gets woven into the mats :confused:

(edit: didn't see the other posts, they were faster, sorry for the repeat )