BC Boards

Where's the Love?

Want to thank everyone for the replies. As I said, the last dog I trained was a velcro rottie, and I was just afraid perhaps I wasn't doing right by Roxie and that's why she was so unaffectionate. I'm going to ease back and let Roxie be Roxie and stop worrying about why she's this and not that and that but not the other.

I think why she runs so quickly to others is 1) in my mind since it was a year of hard, hard work to get the not confident Rottie to even want to see a stranger and 2) she's....uh....a puppy so everything new is so much more fun than things (or people) she already knows.

We are working on the "attention" and she's good at it. As a matter of fact, while around the house, she's always "checking in" with me...for a quick look but not for a cuddle. In the puppy class with all the distractions, she's...well, she's a puppy.

To help with things, I'm starting a massage routine for her a couple of times a day. Some nice, fun rubbing with a few treats involved.

Again, thank you so much! With this being my first Border Collie, I think I was overthinking things a bit. (Yeah, and perhaps obsessing a bit, too)

Good to know there's such a variety of personalities in the breed and it appears I got one of the quick, smart, agile, athletic but not cuddly ones. No problem! She's Roxie and that's that! Thanks for all the encouragement and tips. I've printed them out and we're going over our training schedule...well, as long as Roxie doesn't eat the training schedule. LOL!

Your pup sounds a lot like my Ruby. She cuddled when we first got her, as she was VERY sick. As soon as she was well, her true self came through! Too busy to stay still for very long. She to this day does not cuddle or get in laps. She wouldn't think of getting on the beds, even when no one is around. But she is actually the most affectionate dog I have ever had. She is just different. We humans think of cuddling as affection. Ruby does not. When I finally figured Ruby out, I knew I had the most loving dog in the world. She will come up to me and sit upright like a meerkat, with her paws on my knees or thighs, and as I rub her chest or head, she gives light kisses with a look of adoration in her eyes. Our three girls are each different, one from the other. Meg and Molly are Steward's dogs and will cuddle him in bed, but never anywhere else. Ruby is mine and will not cuddle anyone. She will however, go up to anyone in the world and greet them, asking for pets. I tell her she is promiscuous! Give your pup plenty of time, get to know her, and love her for what she is. You just haven't had one like this before. Enjoy the adventure!

Kathy Robbins

Anda, you are totally right! Odin is my man and just because he like to be friendly with others doesn't change that at all. It's hilarious when you see my husband give a command and Odin looks at me as if to say, "I don't know, do YOU want me to?" But he's not standoffish either, tonight we are at a hotel alone together and he is keeping very good watch over me.

Ouzo and Odin do sound a lot alike! I've thought so from other stories too. :rolleyes:

Archived