BC Boards

And Here's How A Shelter Should Be Run

Tommy Coyote

Kansas City had a horrible shelter. It was so depressing that no one even wanted to go there to adopt and animal. Their kill rate was really high.

And then a vet who had worked at the shelter bought it. And he has just done some amazaing things. Now the shelter is a place where people actually go to adopt animals. And the animals are safe and well cared for.

Its wonderful news for all of us who work with animals.

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/1735966.html

Things are so much better there it isn't even comparable, I remember going to the shelter when the city ran it, and you couldn't even remove a dog from a kennel to see what it was like UNTIL you paid for its adoption. They were basically a kill shelter there were very few adoptions, they rarely even posted anything on petfinder, or if they did there was no picture to go with it.

Now they have lots of volunteers to walk the dogs, they have an outside play area for the dogs to go on a rotation, they have a foster program (they BEG people to foster animals so they don't have to euthanize them). They are a big presence on petfinder and on craigslist in our city.

They have a long way to go but are working hard to get there.

Things are so much better there it isn't even comparable, I remember going to the shelter when the city ran it, and you couldn't even remove a dog from a kennel to see what it was like UNTIL you paid for its adoption. They were basically a kill shelter there were very few adoptions, they rarely even posted anything on petfinder, or if they did there was no picture to go with it.

Now they have lots of volunteers to walk the dogs, they have an outside play area for the dogs to go on a rotation, they have a foster program (they BEG people to foster animals so they don't have to euthanize them). They are a big presence on petfinder and on craigslist in our city.

They have a long way to go but are working hard to get there.

Is this the shelter where the animals picked up by animal control go? I've never been out to the city shelter - because I had heard it was so awful and because I live clear north of the river so it is a long way out there.

Parkville has a no-kill shelter and everyone I know in my area either goes there or up to the Gladstone shelter. Gladstone will not pick up cats any more. I'm not sure animal control will pick them up, either. Don't know that for sure.

I think people will be a lot more likely to take stray animals to this shelter - where they are really trying to find their owners or a good home. No one wanted to take animals to the other shelter where it was just a sure thing that they would be euthanized.

Mary

Archived