BC Boards

soft cone really works!

Robin and Brodie had their surgery today-- both patients are doing well, but Robin (predictably) is a licker....so he needed a cone. The vet's office gave me one of those clear plastic shield to take home in case he kept it up....he was frightened of it so they didn't push to put it on him. I took it but I remembered that someone had recommended a softer version, which I had intended to get but with all the excitement around here, forgot to do.

I found some foam, used the plastic shield as a pattern, and cut out the cone, and used strips of duck tape to secure it around Robin's neck....worked like a charm even if it falls short of "Project Runway" standards :rolleyes:. I'd take his photo, but he's sleeping , resting his head on his little cone "pillow" with his bone in front of him like a good boy.

Good thinking. We fostered a dog that needed to recover after surgery. They sent him home with one of those hard cones. What a weapon. The dog shadowed me and kept on hitting me in the back of the leg with the cone. It hurt. Plus I got to clean up spilled water bowls, stuff knocked over - because the dog has no sense of where the cone was. Good luck on the recovery.

Glad to hear they came through ok. Good thinking on the cone pillow. Luckly Teebo hasn't been licking any since his surgery on Wednesday. I hope they don't over do it and heal up good.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery........ keep us up to date with any changes that you may notice in the months afterwards too. We haven't decided on the date for Shiloh yet.. but I think it will be over the next few months.

Thanks. They both seem to be doing well today. Brodie is more "normal" than Robin - the whole process seemed easier on him (he's smaller than Robin) but then he didn't spend the night with a cone on his head :rolleyes:. BOth ate a hearty breakfast.

Liz