BC Boards

Teaching Pet Tricks to alleviate winter Bordom

So, I've been having a few problems with my doggies this winter and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm from MN, and it's been REALLY cold here lately. Like 20 below with windchill cold. Way too cold to go out and throw frisbee or ball or do any livestock work. My 3 y/o female, Nell, has started rummaging through the bathroom garbage and shredding stuff, and my 4 y/o male, Bandit, is just plain getting fat! I know they need more stimulation. So I bought the book 101 Dog Tricks by Kyra Sundance. It's so fun and we all love doing the training and learning new tricks. However, It's treat based training, which is fine, but it's not helping my chubby Bandit! My dogs are VERY toy driven, and I'd like to switch to training with toys, however, I can't get them to focus on me with a toy present. They just stare at it. They won't take it out of my hand (so I haven't been able to teach "take it" which I'd love to do). If I start trying to get them excited, they just get more fixated on it and sometimes whine. Like I said before, I'd love to get them to switch to toys as reward. I know they would do just about anything for a toy! If only I could figure out how......

If anyone's got any advice, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

Training with a toy when the dog is very intent on the toy is a challenge. I tend to reserve the toy as a reward for doing things that they already know and use food for teaching.

If you use healthy treats like pieces of chicken or beef, you can then actually cut your dog's meal size to compensate for what you have used in training.

That would be my choice.

Teach the dog that the toy is out of play until you tell them to "get it". With a little work, you should be able to leave the toy on the floor, or even toss it over the dog's head, and the dog will ignore it until you say so. That way you can reward with the toy when you want ("Get it!") but in the meantime the dog is focused on you.

Agility folks teach this to their dogs so the handler can run with a toy in their hand, or place one somewhere on the course as a target, yet keep the dog's focus on the handler. They proof it by scattering toys all over the course - a dog trained this way will run the course ignoring all the toys until directed to one.

You could start by setting the toy down near you and rewarding the dog for looking at you instead of the toy.

So, I've been having a few problems with my doggies this winter and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm from MN, and it's been REALLY cold here lately. Like 20 below with windchill cold. Way too cold to go out and throw frisbee or ball or do any livestock work. My 3 y/o female, Nell, has started rummaging through the bathroom garbage and shredding stuff, and my 4 y/o male, Bandit, is just plain getting fat! I know they need more stimulation. So I bought the book 101 Dog Tricks by Kyra Sundance. It's so fun and we all love doing the training and learning new tricks. However, It's treat based training, which is fine, but it's not helping my chubby Bandit! My dogs are VERY toy driven, and I'd like to switch to training with toys, however, I can't get them to focus on me with a toy present. They just stare at it. They won't take it out of my hand (so I haven't been able to teach "take it" which I'd love to do). If I start trying to get them excited, they just get more fixated on it and sometimes whine. Like I said before, I'd love to get them to switch to toys as reward. I know they would do just about anything for a toy! If only I could figure out how......

If anyone's got any advice, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

We play a little game I call "find it". Works with toys or treats. Put the dog in a stay in one room, then go hide the treat or toy in another, return, and tell him "find it". Once they understand the game, you can really challenge them and hide the stuff well.

I've been trying to teach "take it" too with no luck. The closest I can get is him opening his mouth and putting it on the toy, or barely taking it so it immediately lands on the floor.

Good luck!

Guest echoica

good choice for a book! i love it. my dogs probably know at least half of that book by now (other than the stuff that requires props) and it is so much fun for all involved :rolleyes: