BC Boards

weave pole spacing

My husband is going to build me a set of 2x2 weave poles,

I need to know what to put the spacing at, we will be doing NADAC and USDAA, I know USDAA has a maximum distance between poles of 21" and NADAC can be up to 24" spacing with 22" being recommended. I also know there is a push to have USDAA change their spacing to 24" because it is easier on the dogs physically.

So I guess I am leaning towards either 22" or 24"......

What would you do?

I would go with the shorter spacing. One of the challenges 2x2 training is meant to address is getting your dog to collect, such that s/he can make the entry, or bend for poles 2-3. If your dog can make these entries on 20", 24" will be a snap. In Canada, we are going to 24" spacing in September (after our Nationals). My Wick dog, who has been weaving for 8 years now on 20" spacing, has no trouble adapting to the 24" spacing on the new set of poles that I bought. My young dog, who I am teaching using 2x2's, is learning on 20" spacing, even though I doubt that he will be competing before September. He is a smallish, compact dog, but he shows signs that he will be on the faster side, so I want him to show me that he can collect on the smaller spaced poles.

The last post was sent by accident, please disregard. :rolleyes:

I would go with the smaller spacing . Its easier for a dog to lengthen their stride then to shorten their stride when comfronted with the different spacings at a trial. A dog who has learned with the larger spacing is more apt to skip poles if put thru the smaller spacings . ( in my opinion )

Since your husband is building them, I suggest making two sets - one at the 21 inch spacing and one at 24. Then, I would go through the training with each set separately. Once the 2 X 2 process is complete, you can vary which you use in training.

Everyone says that dogs can transition from the smaller spacing to 24 with no problem, but I'm not finding this to be the case. We just got 24 inch poles at our training center and Maddie is like, "Weave poles? What weave poles?" once she gets into them.

I have no doubt she will adjust and be just fine, but I will start to switch back and forth between the two sets as soon as possible. CPE allows 22 - 24 inch poles, so we could see either at trials and I want my dogs to be prepared for either.