BC Boards

Teaching a lesson in playing

Robin has been a bit of a bully on the playground with Brodie for the past few months. I've been putting them out separately, limiting their time together, that kind of thing. As soon as their tails start to drop, I'm in there. He's been pushy with me too, constantly butting his head against my arm, trying to climb on my lap...anything to get attention. I had really get firm with him and he's starting to sit quietly again...well, as quietly as Robin does anything :rolleyes:.

Today I had all three out together and Ladybug immediately took charge. She didn't lay into Robin for his bad manners but she let him know what is appropriate for play and what isn't by example. She wasn't "herding" him in the usual sense, but they'd go chasing round and round and when he got rough, she'd set him down somehow...must be with her eyes because he really hit the deck immediately and then she'd release him and off they'd go again. She'd let him play with Brodie for a few minutes, then she'd interrupt and go around with him again. She backed him up against the fence a couple of times to calm him down but there was no growling, no barking, just a lesson in how to play. This went on for about a half hour, then she came to the porch and let him and Brodie play. It really curbed his rough behavior and they all came in very happy. Snow covered, but happy.

It was very informative watching her work with both pups. I could learn a thing or two from Ladybug!

Liz