BC Boards

Border Leicester sheep?

luvmycash

I've wanted sheep for about forever, since I've had border collies for about forever :rolleyes: I'm chewing on getting a couple of sheep sometime in the near future, maybe come spring. I've always loved the border leicesters. I'm not going to mass produce, I'm thinking maybe 3 ewes, and maybe a ram if I'm feeling ambitious lol. It would be nice to show them at the local fairs that I take my horses to as well, which is another reason I'm wanting to stick to purebreds. Does anyone have any experience with the breed?

I've had border leicester for only a few years, but I really like them. Of course thats just my opinion, others might think differently. I like them for their nice long wool as I enjoy spinning and will soon be learning to knit. Their meat is tasty too. As far as a wool breed goes I like that they have faces and legs that are clean of wool, makes it easier when shearing, plus their medium size makes them a little easier to work with. I've found them to be good mothers, generally twin, but this year one of my gals gave triplets.

For showing at fairs(I assume you mean market class), depending on where you live the suffolk, hamps and southdowns are the popular choice for showing and many judges wouldn't know what to do if an unusual breed walked into the ring. At least thats the case around here.

For whatever breed you decide on, do some research to see what is available in your area, and think about what you hope to do with them. I guess the main thing is find what works for you.

Good luck in your search and I'm sure others will have much better suggestions and ideas.

Samantha

I have a few border l's myself. Yep great wool and tasty. I would say if you are thinking of using the same sheep as show sheep and working your bc that you would need different sheep. The show sheep will not react like real sheep if they are "tame" As far working this breed my experience is they either are rather light for those dogs that take control or if they read any possible weakness in a dog they will stand and dare to be moved. I know of a nice flock near Indianapolis IN - they are bred for wool mostly, but also worked with a bc. I think they have a web site - westerfield woolies I think or maybe it is westfield wollies.

Denice

Thanks for the replies. Denice, I didn't think of that with showing the sheep. They would be pretty tame anyway, we all live in pretty tight quarters here :rolleyes: It annoys me we don't have more land lol. The guy doesn't want to sell the fields next to us but it's January and he doesn't even have the corn off yet.

The goats we had (that my sister took when she moved out *yay* !) were really tame but still respected the dogs. My sister's old 14 year old border collie used to get a little rough with them. Cash is the biggest chicken I have ever seen, but you turn him on livestock and it's like a whole other side of him. I'd like him to have the confidence to move and work with sheep.

I have Border Leicester and really enjoy them. Mine are both dog training sheep and show sheep and I haven't had any problems. Sheep shows aren't like dog shows in that you could go almost every weekend so the sheep aren't handled too much. My sheep are shown only 2-3 times a year and are only handled for vaccines/wormings, health papers, and fitting just before the shows. My Border Leicesters don't act any different than my Cheviots that have never been shown. I haven't seen any problem in using show sheep for dog training, but I do have a flock of almost 60.

Emily