BC Boards

Pooping at night

nancy

This is the second morning in a month that we woke up to find one large turd on the bedroom floor. Luckily, very solid, so I could pick it up with toilet paper and flush it.

Fergie will be 14 in December. But she's in great shape. Is this because she's eating persimmons - and the seeds do mean she poops more often? She goes out to pee just before bed. Do I need to take her for one more walk between her dinner and bed? Or do we need to close her in the kitchen at night. At least during persimmon season?

It could be the persimmons, but Fergie is also at an age where she might be experiencing a bit of age-related incontinence. I've noticed that Boy, who is 14 1/2 can't really hold it anymore if he has to go, which results in the occasional accident if I don't notice he wants to go out as soon as he goes to the door. Like you noted, it's always solid, but I think it's a combination of perhaps waiting too long to ask to go out and age-reduced capability of his sphincter to "hold" it.

I always make sure Boy gets a trip outside last thing before bed. You could do that with Fergie, and if you don't think it would stress her unduly, then go ahead and block her in the kitchen.

Any way to prevent her from eating the persimmons in the first place?

J.

We try to keep her away from most of the persimmons. She loves them (so does the cat) and knows exactly where to run to sniff them out.

I've started rushing over, too, and grabbing as many as I can find. Our local Muscovy ducks are also great fans of persimmons. The peck each other to get to me first to get them. It's mostly a few that are smooshed on the ground that she gets.

A walk after dinner would be a good idea - for her and for me.

Sara was @ 14 when she started needing a potty break in the middle of the night to pee. A few months before she passed away, she started needing to poop then too. My vet said it could be arthritic changes in her spine causing swelling which was in turn pressing on her rectal/anal area which was causing a relaxation of the sphincter (which is usually more relaxed in teenage dogs just due to age).